Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   06-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Saw Frailty last night and was impressed. Good acting, very disturbing, with an unexpected twist at the end. I kept thinking, "Schizophrenia can be SO scary," and then got the tables turned on me. This is a good 'un.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
nijimeijer   06-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, we rented it, loved it, and promptly bought it, just for repeat viewings.

I think this movie has some of the worst abuse scenes ever--emotional abuse, of course. It's disturbing in many ways, and very sad in others.

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
jimbow8   06-03-2004, 01:52 PM
***SPOILER ALERT***

Glad you finally saw it, Paul. I also liked the fact that they never quite explain whether or not the father and son were crazy or actually seeing the visions.

Have you got Monkey Shines in your queue yet? I just saw one of those "helper mokeys" (I forget the species) oh a Jack Hanna show the other day and was reminded of it.
This post was last modified: 06-03-2004, 01:55 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Sam   06-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Glad you liked it!! I've been wondering about the name on the weapon. (don't want to say more and cause a spoiler of sorts.) Is it a reference to somebody or something that you know of???
Another good Paxton movie is "A Simple Plan". I've always liked Paxton so I try to catch his movies when I can. "Traveller"......I didn't like it much. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something.
Anyway, I've been thinking of renting "House of Sand and Fog". Opinions???
Sam   06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:***SPOILER ALERT***

Glad you finally saw it, Paul. I also liked the fact that they never quite explain whether or not the father and son were crazy or actually seeing the visions.

Have you got Monkey Shines in your queue yet? I just saw one of those "helper mokeys" (I forget the species) oh a Jack Hanna show the other day and was reminded of it.
Spider monkey I think??????? :confused:
The Mad American   06-03-2004, 02:25 PM
I saw this in the theater and really enjoyed it as well. I liked that the movie really leaves it up to you to decide what is really going on.

Own it on DVD. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
jimbow8   06-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Sam Wrote:Glad you liked it!! I've been wondering about the name on the weapon. (don't want to say more and cause a spoiler of sorts.) Is it a reference to somebody or something that you know of???
Another good Paxton movie is "A Simple Plan". I've always liked Paxton so I try to catch his movies when I can. "Traveller"......I didn't like it much. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something.
Anyway, I've been thinking of renting "House of Sand and Fog". Opinions???
I've always liked Bill Paxton also. A Simple Plan was a good movie (and book), but my favorite role of Paxton's is Near Dark. This is my possibly my favorite vampire movie of all time.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
The Mad American   06-03-2004, 07:34 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I've always liked Bill Paxton also. A Simple Plan was a good movie (and book), but my favorite role of Paxton's is Near Dark. This is my possibly my favorite vampire movie of all time.

Theres a fly on the ceiling......

Classic Vampire film. Lance Henriksen was very good in Near Dark as well.
Kenji   06-04-2004, 10:35 AM
This is my favorite movie. I saw in theater, and I bought DVD.

Human is most scary! Vampires, Werewolves, Demon, Jason, Freddy, and even Chew-wasp and Rakoshi....those are only in books and movies. But Human is reality. As Paul said, "Schizophrenia can be so scary." Yes, that's right. He(or her) is a possibility that live in our town, our next door neighbor, maybe your neighbor. Just like Anny Wilks or Hannibal Lecter,Norman Bates, those people are scarier than any monsters.

P.S., I hate child abuse. Abuse is not permissible. :mad:
Sam   06-07-2004, 04:05 PM
I had an unpleasant experience with a paranoid schizophrenic once many years ago. Working night shift, ALONE (no joke) at my job, and the guy was there in the store for about 3 hours before the police was finally notified by a customer. Nice fellow, but worrying about anything that I may say or do to set him off and listening to him tell jokes to inanimate objects such as the coffee maker and a life-size cardboard Coors Light Elvira (it was Halloween time to boot, I'm not making this up!!) was enough to make me a nervous wreck. Yes, it IS very scary indeed.
P.S. After a talk with my boss, 2 people were always scheduled on nights from then on.
Pages (2): 1 2