Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Charleswg   01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
any remember there will be kids there, ages 4-11? Try a harry potter film for the kids then an adult one. I think we can all agree adults and kids like Shrek. That sound system will make most movies sound better- enjoy!

CG
Maggers   01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Oooohh...I'm jealous Stacy! I don't have such a system and won't get one. I can only imagine the complaints from everyone in my old and shaky building. But it sure sounds like a fabulous system to have if you've got the space and no one sharing a wall.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   01-23-2006, 05:10 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Over the weekend my husband and I bought a big TV and a home theater system that we installed (with much difficulty). So, now we're looking for movies to watch that are enhanced by the surround sound and subwoofer. We have the LOTR movies, which are awesome on the new TV, but if anyone has other suggestions, bring 'em on! We're really excited to break in the new system with some great, noisy movies. Suggestions appropriate for children are welcome too. We're having movie night next weekend with our neighbors and their kids (ages 4 and 11).

BTW, intalling everything so it actually works was one of the most difficult things we've done in a very long time. I was so pissed at one point I wanted to take everything back.

I recommend "The Keep". You may have heard of it? Dynamite soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Over the weekend my husband and I bought a big TV and a home theater system that we installed (with much difficulty). So, now we're looking for movies to watch that are enhanced by the surround sound and subwoofer. We have the LOTR movies, which are awesome on the new TV, but if anyone has other suggestions, bring 'em on! We're really excited to break in the new system with some great, noisy movies. Suggestions appropriate for children are welcome too. We're having movie night next weekend with our neighbors and their kids (ages 4 and 11).

BTW, intalling everything so it actually works was one of the most difficult things we've done in a very long time. I was so pissed at one point I wanted to take everything back.

The Abyss! I highly recommend The Abyss to you.

Sound effect, visual effect, actors&actress, those elements are perfect to big TV and home theater system. At least, last scenes has worth to see on big screen. Wink
Flinx   01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
The Muppet Movie
The Princess Bride
Xanadu
stacyzinda123   01-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions! We watched Gladiator and that was awesome. I think we may watch Harry Potter with the neighbors. It really enhances the experience to have the sound and feel the explosions and stuff. We might sign up for Netflix or the Blockbuster home rental program so we always have movies on hand. We could put Alien and some of those others on our list and watch them as they come in. There isn't anywhere convenient for us to rent movies where we live.
Charleswg   01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Thanks for all the good suggestions! We watched Gladiator and that was awesome. I think we may watch Harry Potter with the neighbors. It really enhances the experience to have the sound and feel the explosions and stuff. We might sign up for Netflix or the Blockbuster home rental program so we always have movies on hand. We could put Alien and some of those others on our list and watch them as they come in. There isn't anywhere convenient for us to rent movies where we live.

For what's worth, Netflix is great. Never have to leave the house except to put the movies into the mailbox. Driving in a resort town is a nightmare so having it all sent to the house is great- turnaround time is 3-4 days from the time (AM) I mail the movie back to when I get the next one. Enjoy!

CG
jimbow8   01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I agree with Charles, Netflix is GREAT. I bet others on the board agree also.

I would never sign up for Blockbuster. I'm not sure about the online service, but the stores rented edited movies, "boycotted" others, and often promoted Full Screen format over Wide Screen. Blech!!!! :mad:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I'll third the Netflix recommendation. I boycott Blockbuster like Jimbo. I've had very few problems with Netflix and, I think, the majority of those problems occurred due to where I live and not so trustworthy neighbors.
jimbow8   01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I'll third the Netflix recommendation. I boycott Blockbuster like Jimbo. I've had very few problems with Netflix and, I think, the majority of those problems occurred due to where I live and not so trustworthy neighbors.
The only "problems" I have had have turned out to be delays or ... umm ... "user error." And even then Netflix has been EXTREMELY responsive. The seem legitimately concerned about maintaining HIGH service levels.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (3):    1 2 3