Pages (2): 1 2   
Tony H   01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I recently discovered a fact about myself. I am allergic to red dye. I am not sure what number it is, but if I consume any product containing this colorful additive I suffer severe abdominal cramping, nausea, and vomiting.

I recently discovered another fact about myself. I have the same allergic reaction to Red Eye.

This Wes Craven directed thriller, and I use the term loosely, is an abomination of film making and script writing. On the plus side the film had a very short running time clocking in just under an hour and a half. Thank God that the screenwriters involved in this plane wreck had the decency to bail out before the 2 hour mark.

The first rule of any thriller is that it should be thrilling, the suspense should be believable and you should care about the character in turmoil. All aspects mentioned here were missing from this film.

The plot is flimsy; there is never any sense of impending doom. Nothing is explained and the "terrorist act" unfolding came across as more of an annoyance, much like a hangnail.

I won't go into plot details or even state who acted in this film because I am sure they have already removed it from their resume. It should be sufficient enough to say that this airline thriller was such a bomb that if you had it in your carry-on aboard a flight, your name would be placed on the top of the do not fly list, just above Cat Stevens.

Skip it, if it comes on Cable call your local provider and cancel service. If it ever plays on network television it should be delegated to a late night time slot on the UPN where usually only infomercials for proactiv acne solutions air. And that is still being too kind.
This post was last modified: 01-17-2006, 11:21 AM by Tony H.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
stacyzinda123   01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
I rented this movie last weekend and wasn't impressed at all. I agree with your criticisms and would add that it had every cliche you can think of. It was lame. I've seen worse, but this one isn't worth seeing, IMO.
jimbow8   01-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I saw this in the theatre and liked the first "half" but the second half degenerated into a crappy, cliched chase thriller. Not that it was an excellent movie but I thought Cillian Murphy was effectivly creepy and Rachel McAdams .... well, need I say more? Wink :p

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Gerald Rice   01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I recently discovered a fact about myself. I am allergic to red dye. I am not sure what number it is, but if I consume any product containing this colorful additive I suffer severe abdominal cramping, nausea, and vomiting.

I recently discovered another fact about myself. I have the same allergic reaction to Red Eye.

This Wes Craven directed thriller, and I use the term loosely, is an abomination of film making and script writing. On the plus side the film had a very short running time clocking in just under an hour and a half. Thank God that the screenwriters involved in this plane wreck had the decency to bail out before the 2 hour mark.

The first rule of any thriller is that it should be thrilling, the suspense should be believable and you should care about the character in turmoil. All aspects mentioned here were missing from this film.

The plot is flimsy; there is never any sense of impending doom. Nothing is explained and the "terrorist act" unfolding came across as more of an annoyance, much like a hangnail.

I won't go into plot details or even state who acted in this film because I am sure they have already removed it from their resume. It should be sufficient enough to say that this airline thriller was such a bomb that if you had it in your carry-on aboard a flight, your name would be placed on the top of the do not fly list, just above Cat Stevens.

Skip it, if it comes on Cable call your local provider and cancel service. If it ever plays on network television it should be delegated to a late night time slot on the UPN where usually only infomercials for proactiv acne solutions air. And that is still being too kind.

Yeah, but that Rachel McAdams is right perty. And Cillian Murphy's got a perty mouth too.
Tony H   01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:Yeah, but that Rachel McAdams is right perty. And Cillian Murphy's got a perty mouth too.

That was sufficiently creepy.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Gerald Rice   01-17-2006, 12:58 PM
AsMoral Wrote:That was sufficiently creepy.

All they needed was Ned Beatty in the cast...
hford713   01-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree about the script (or lack thereof).
And yeah, it was short - clocking in at just over an hour and fifteen minutes. Apart from a documentary, I can't recall a feature film ever being this short.
Scott Hajek   01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
It's a first. I disagree completely with Tony's review. I liked this movie.

Many of the criticisms seem to include "no detail of the terrorists" or "cliche chase." Well, you really can't avoid a cliche today. Every movie has them; most more than one.

I was happy that they didn't get into the whole "who are the terrorists" plot line. Extra baggage that would detract from the basic premise that there is a whack job doing his best to intimidate Rachel McAdams. There wasn't any need to deal with everything else.

This movie also didn't have any plot holes so large you could fly a plane through. Flightplan was an example of a horribly scripted plane movie that only survived by a good acting job by Jodie Foster.

Red Eye wasn't a great film, but it was a good, quick popcorn movie that made sense and didn't rely on some stupid twist, a huge plot hole or cheap stunt.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Tony H   01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:It's a first. I disagree completely with Tony's review. I liked this movie.

Many of the criticisms seem to include "no detail of the terrorists" or "cliche chase." Well, you really can't avoid a cliche today. Every movie has them; most more than one.

I was happy that they didn't get into the whole "who are the terrorists" plot line. Extra baggage that would detract from the basic premise that there is a whack job doing his best to intimidate Rachel McAdams. There wasn't any need to deal with everything else.

This movie also didn't have any plot holes so large you could fly a plane through. Flightplan was an example of a horribly scripted plane movie that only survived by a good acting job by Jodie Foster.

Red Eye wasn't a great film, but it was a good, quick popcorn movie that made sense and didn't rely on some stupid twist, a huge plot hole or cheap stunt.

I wasn't bored with the movie, just really irritated. I don't mind cliche's but it was amature-ish at best. I am sorry you disagree with my review. As such you are clearly lost to Satan.

Certified 100% Serious
Maggers   01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
AsMoral Wrote:....Skip it, if it comes on Cable call your local provider and cancel service. If it ever plays on network television it should be delegated to a late night time slot on the UPN where usually only infomercials for proactiv acne solutions air. And that is still being too kind.

Hot skippy, Tony! Your reviews are the bomb, pun intended. You need your own show. Man, I'd pay for that!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2