fpw   01-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Pretty sick and relentlessly grim. Don't see this unless you're a true-blue gorehound. Even then, think twice, because it foists a cliched twist on you toward the end that's supposed to give it some sort of lame existential cachet. It doesn't. Your reaction won't be, "Cool!" It'll be, "WTF?" Except for the relentless gore, the first three-quarters is a shameless rip-off of Dean Koontz's novel Intensity. Dean could have brought suit, but after seeing it he decided he didn't want his name associated with it in any way.

FF= 7

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Marc   01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I remember Tony lambasting this one when it came out. His comments were pretty much the same.
t4terrific   01-15-2006, 01:52 PM
fpw Wrote:Pretty sick and relentlessly grim. Don't see this unless you're a true-blue gorehound. Even then, think twice, because it foists a cliched twist on you toward the end that's supposed to give it some sort of lame existential cachet. It doesn't. Your reaction won't be, "Cool!" It'll be, "WTF?" Except for the relentless gore, the first three-quarters is a shameless rip-off of Dean Koontz's novel Intensity. Dean could have brought suit, but after seeing it he decided he didn't want his name associated with it in any way.

FF= 7

I saw it at the theater. You are right. The first hour is more faithful to Intensity that the movie Intensity was! I couldn't believe it! I was happy actually (since Intensity, the movie, wasn't so great). Then it was all turned upside down. I thought (as you said) "What The Fudge?!!!!!"

It was truely a wierd way to add a twist. I liked the film enough to not be disapointed. I didn't like it enough to watch it again.
fpw   01-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I remember Tony lambasting this one when it came out. His comments were pretty much the same.

I'd forgotten Tony's review -- 7 months is like 7 years on this board. I saw the unrated version, so the gore factor here was a few notches higher than the US theatrical version.

Yes, it cheats. Big time.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
crimsonking   01-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah. That was one lame twist. I watched that with my two brothers and we were in awe that it was such a rip off of Intenstity. Almost a scene by scene rip off. Amazing
saynomore   01-15-2006, 09:03 PM
I picked up this dvd at a secondhand store about a month ago. I skipped it at the theater because I could see the ending coming a mile away...and sure enough, I watched the dvd and that was the ending I imagined.

Except... there is no way this ending is possible, based on all that's come before it. I even re-wound (winded?) to certain scenes and matched a WTF with a WTS.

One final note on such twist endings. I mentioned the ending to Cindy (who teaches Creative Writing to kids) and she told me that this type of ending is common with the kids, who think they're being really tricky and smart.

AC

P.S. I wrote a similar story when I was a kid (called Cabin Fever, about a hermit in a cabin in the high mountains who is hunting and storing for the coming winter: twist ending--he turns out to be an escaped patient in a mental hospital who has been killing nurses and other patients and storing their corpses in his room where he has a calender with a picture of a cabin in the high mountains in it--gasp!).
Scott Hajek   01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
' Wrote:the first three-quarters is a shameless rip-off of Dean Koontz's novel Intensity.

This is the bigger reason I won't spend my time watching it. I still don't have faith in Koontz's stuff, and a rip-off off his stuff creates no interest for me.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
t4terrific   01-15-2006, 11:49 PM
saynomore Wrote:P.S. I wrote a similar story when I was a kid (called Cabin Fever, about a hermit in a cabin in the high mountains who is hunting and storing for the coming winter: twist ending--he turns out to be an escaped patient in a mental hospital who has been killing nurses and other patients and storing their corpses in his room where he has a calender with a picture of a cabin in the high mountains in it--gasp!).

That is interesting.
hford713   01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
fpw Wrote:I'd forgotten Tony's review -- 7 months is like 7 years on this board. I saw the unrated version, so the gore factor here was a few notches higher than the US theatrical version.

Yes, it cheats. Big time.
Speaking of a filmmaker/screenwriter cheating... I felt the same way with November (w/ Courtney Cox).
It must be both easy and fun for a filmmaker or writer to conjure up something that doesn't make sense.