fpw   01-13-2006, 10:32 AM
I've seen Dogtown and Z-Boys and remember it as repetitious and overblown (i.e.: the Z-Boys – who invented rad skateboarding – caused a culture shift on a par with the Beatles. As if.) But it was interesting enough to nudge me to rent the dramatized version. Lords is good coming-of-age story with nice performances (Heath Ledger’s Skip the surf guru with his buck-tooth appliance steals a ton of scenes) and a lot less bombast. There's an old saying: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. I've always thought it should be: Whom the gods would destroy, they grant heart's desire. Lords of Dogtown demonstrates some of that.

FF= 2 (some of the boarding and pool-hopping scenes went on too long for my limited attention span)
This post was last modified: 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Annice Burdeos   01-18-2006, 02:42 AM
So few saw this in the theater. Dogtown performed poorly at the box office and the critics were not to fond of it either.

So, Paul, you are one of the few who had something nice to say about it!!