fpw   01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Much as I like chop-socky films and Jet Li, I didn't like this. Don't know exactly why. Maybe the underlying setup -- treating a man like an animal and training him to be an attack dog -- is too grim for me. The 3-act structure is too formulaic and predictable. Some of the fight scenes -- especially the one with the guy in the white gi -- went on far too long.

FF= 5

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
fpw Wrote:Much as I like chop-socky films and Jet Li, I didn't like this. Don't know exactly why. Maybe the underlying setup -- treating a man like an animal and training him to be an attack dog -- is too grim for me. The 3-act structure is too formulaic and predictable. Some of the fight scenes -- especially the one with the guy in the white gi -- went on far too long.

FF= 5

You didn't like it? Hmmm......Sad

Well, there is Jet Li's new movie,"Fearless". Let's get expectation to it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446059/
Charleswg   01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
fpw Wrote:Much as I like chop-socky films and Jet Li, I didn't like this. Don't know exactly why. Maybe the underlying setup -- treating a man like an animal and training him to be an attack dog -- is too grim for me. The 3-act structure is too formulaic and predictable. Some of the fight scenes -- especially the one with the guy in the white gi -- went on far too long.

FF= 5

I was excited to see the film but have to say that I was BORED...it moved agonizingly slow. The movie Lionheart w/ Jean Claude Van Damm moved faster. Yikes.

CG
Anders Monsen   01-11-2006, 12:50 PM

FF= 5

I wanted to like this movie, I really did. I think the underlying set-up is sort os a Joe Lansdale scenario, but the rest of the plot was far too predictable and I agree completely about the last fight. Too bad, as Jet Li probably is the most fluid movie martial artist I've seen, aside from maybe Donnie Yen.
t4terrific   01-11-2006, 01:02 PM

FF= 5

I liked the film, except for the fight scenes. As usual, all of Jet Li's fight scenes are so theatrical and very unrealistic. They really bore me. It's funny, Jet Li is regarded as such a martial artist (he's no fighter), but Brad Pitt's fight scenes in Snatch were light years ahead of Jet Li.

The rest of the film was actually much better than I expected. I really liked the three main characters, and hated the villian. That's the point right?
Sam   01-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I thought Li's acting was pretty good considering he had to be childish in his actions and expressions - the row boat on the pond scene cracked me up. Hoskins was great, as usual. I liked the movie but it was lacking in some areas for sure.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K