Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   12-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Someone said they thought I'd like this little film I'd never heard of. They were so right. This is like digging in your garden and finding a diamond, folks. Based on a true story, the HBO movie starts in the 1930s and ends in the '60s, following the life of Vivien Thomas (Mos Def), a black man who helped pioneer the first cardiac surgery.

Like the film, Vivien Thomas is an undiscovered diamond -- a brilliant guy with a high school education who wants to go to med school but is thwarted by the depression. He hooks up with Alfred Blalock (Alan Rickman) and over the course of decades they develop the techniques that allow them to treat pulmonary stenosis.

But the film's subtext is racism. Not the ugly, violent sort, but the matter-of-fact racism that makes Vivien Thomas invisible. In the film, he's the true innovator who makes the surgical miracle possible, but receives no recognition until long after he'd helped pioneered the field of cardiac surgery.

This film won a bunch of awards. Am I the only one who's never heard of it?

FF= 0

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I had seen all the promos on HBO when it first aired there, but did not watch it. Maybe I'll check it out; I always enjoy Rickman, though he plays it straight in this role.

If you don't have HBO you would have missed this film; it was made for HBO.
This post was last modified: 12-17-2005, 01:41 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Noelie   12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I actually made a post about Something the Lord Made when it first aired on HBO, but you must have missed it. I thought it was just incredible...one of those films that quietly makes its point and takes your breath away. My brother and I watched it together and when it was over, we just looked at each other and said, "Wow."

I'm so glad that someone else mentioned this film to you, Paul. I knew you would enjoy it. Smile

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
t4terrific   12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
There are at least two people who never heard of it. It sounds somewhat interesting. Where did you find it?

fpw Wrote:Someone said they thought I'd like this little film I'd never heard of. They were so right. This is like digging in your garden and finding a diamond, folks. Based on a true story, the HBO movie starts in the 1930s and ends in the '60s, following the life of Vivien Thomas (Mos Def), a black man who helped pioneer the first cardiac surgery.

Like the film, Vivien Thomas is an undiscovered diamond -- a brilliant guy with a high school education who wants to go to med school but is thwarted by the depression. He hooks up with Alfred Blalock (Alan Rickman) and over the course of decades they develop the techniques that allow them to treat pulmonary stenosis.

But the film's subtext is racism. Not the ugly, violent sort, but the matter-of-fact racism that makes Vivien Thomas invisible. In the film, he's the true innovator who makes the surgical miracle possible, but receives no recognition until long after he'd helped pioneered the field of cardiac surgery.

FF= 0
Ken Valentine   12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
fpw Wrote:This film won a bunch of awards. Am I the only one who's never heard of it?

FF= 0

Nope.

I remember reading about the man and his achievements years ago. This is the first I've ever heard about a movie.

Ken V.
IanSF   12-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Haven't heard of this movie, but not surprising as I'm assuming it's a 'made for TV'. I take it that HBO is one of your channels 'over there'.
IMDB gives it a decent write up but shows it as unavailable on Amazon here in the UK. But all is not lost, it is being released on DVD on January 2 so I'll be able to see it somehow. I'll accept your judgement, it is afilm that is definitely worth seeing.
For those of you that have seen it I pose this question, 'Is it a film worth buying, or should I just rent it?'
fpw   12-18-2005, 10:46 AM
IanSF Wrote:For those of you that have seen it I pose this question, 'Is it a film worth buying, or should I just rent it?'

Rent, then buy if it knocks you out. With so many films out there that I haven't seen, I rewatch very few.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Annice Burdeos   01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
fpw Wrote:Someone said they thought I'd like this little film I'd never heard of. They were so right. This is like digging in your garden and finding a diamond, folks. Based on a true story, the HBO movie starts in the 1930s and ends in the '60s, following the life of Vivien Thomas (Mos Def), a black man who helped pioneer the first cardiac surgery.

FF= 0

Watched this opening night on cable and found this very well done (I knew something of Vivian and Dr. Blaylock and seeing these two fine performances,
reminded me that story and acting every time is what matters most.

Their relationship so intertwined that the scene at the end where the reel actors seque into the real gentlemen, stays with one, indeed
The Mad American   01-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Got to see this while staying in the hotel in Texas with Gracie.

What an amazing story. Can you imagine if this guy hadn't been held back by all the racist BS?

Very enjoyable movie as well.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Maggers   02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
I just watched "Something the Lord Made." What an extraordinary film. I was unfamiliar with the history upon which the film is based. I'm so happy I saw it.

In the beginning of the film in 1930's Tennessee, Vivian and his brother are walking together. Without thinking, without a fuss, they step aside off the narrow sidewalk each time a white person passed by. They lower their heads, nodding "good day" to the whites and are never acknowledged in return. That's just a brief, eye opening example of the everyday racism mentioned by FPW that was so prevalent, so routine.

"Something the Lord Made" is indeed a breathtaking little gem of a movie that should be seen by everyone. You cannot watch it and not be moved to your core.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2