Maggers   12-12-2005, 02:58 AM
I enjoyed "Walk the Line." Joaquin Phoenix is a favorite of mine, and he does a great job here. The real joy in this movie, though, is Reese Weatherspoon. She'll be Oscar bait for sure, as will Phoenix.

"Walk the Line" is a solid film, certainly worth seeing. But I still think Phillip Seymour Hoffman takes the cake for acting this year. As good as "Walk the Line" is, "Capote" is far better.

Unusual girly point of view comment: For some reason, few films realistically capture female hairdos of bygone days. It's a pet peeve of mine. Women's hair styles in the '60's were often extreme, and most films don't get them right. This one does.
This post was last modified: 02-18-2006, 02:33 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

fpw   12-12-2005, 10:31 AM
The acting -- and singing -- impressed the hell out of me. Could have used more songs and less father angst (and 30 fewer minutes).

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Check out BE HERE TO LOVE ME. Steve Earle (a wasted scoundrel with a lousy attitude) had a great line about Townes Van Zandt: "He's the best songwriter in the world. And I'll stand on Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that."
Noelie   12-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I really want to see this but, alas, I must wait for DVD. The only movie theatre open here is a yucky one, and I refuse to go to movies there. :\

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
peachynat   12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the reviews... I've been wanting to see this. Glad to know it's worth seeing
Marc   02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Saw this Tuesday night. Have to say I was blown away. All the actors did an amazing job and Joaquin and Reese both did a great job singing (I might venture to say Jaoquin sounds better than Johnny Cash himself). I do think, however, it was a little long. At a running time of a little over two hours it felt more like three.
Kenji   02-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Today was the opening day, and I saw it today.

Actually I've never listened to Jonny Cash's songs. But after I saw this movie, I bought his CD. He's cool!

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Weatherspoon, they were terrific! Their acting deserve Oscar nominees. I know about Elvis Presly, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis. But until now, I didn't know about J.Cash and J.Carter. Now I understood they were legendary singers.

Running time was a little long, but I didn't care. Even if running time's too long, if that movie is good, times don't bother me. This movie was good example. Smile

I highly recommend this movie to all people.