Pages (27):    1 15 16 17 18 19 27   
Tony H   01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Maggers Wrote:Jim, I just noticed your new signature. What does "out" mean?

LOL! Maggers...I read it to be like... "Peace", or "I'm outta here". Just like saying, "Over and out." Which technically you never say over and out...it's just.. "Out."

However, Jim may have wanted to change it for this thread.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
jimbow8   01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
"Out" is outta here!!!
This post was last modified: 01-18-2006, 07:38 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   01-18-2006, 07:31 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:"Out" is outta here!!!

LOL...thanks, Jim. Just had to ask. And now it's gone.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Interesting you chose two films that have strong Catholic messages in them. I wonder if these films bothered NYJoe as much as Brokeback Mountain did for their "in your face" message?

I could see these movies bothering someone if it was recommended to them and they went to see it based on that. People also shouldn't be belittled because the movies are not their cup of tea. I don't think it would matter how many oscars, how welll written and acted a horror movie is, some people won't see it based only on the fact that it is a horror film.They won't be labled by society as some kind of phobic like this movie has done. Anybody else remember being peer pressured into something they thought wasn't their cop of tea? I think it was a well done movie, but not worthy of this kinda hype, but I have very little to base it on since I've only seen two other movies this year. But it won't get my vote for an Oscar.
fpw   01-18-2006, 08:17 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:No coincidence. I wonder if "they" have a problem with Hollywood pushing any message or just one that he disagrees with. It's not as if Hollywood hasn't produced MANY religiously themed movies.

Anyone remember the uproar among the Hollywood elite about[SIZE=3]The Passion of the Christ? I can't recall that much naked hostility directed at any other film. They threw everything the had against it, including anti-Semitism. (Remember all the talk from the elite pundits -- Frank Rich in the lead -- about the tsunami of anti-Semitism it would kick off?)

I can't say a thing about the movie itself because I haven't seen it and can't imagine that I ever will, but if it caused a rise in anti-Semitism, I must have missed it.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
KRW   01-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Annice Burdeos Wrote:I agree with your critique

To all those who are irritated to say the least regarding Brokeback Mountain- judge the film because you have seen it

and not because you are taking the moralistic/religious/condescending viewpoint that your values are right above all others

The audience I saw it with- more straights than gays (how derogatory to classify human beings in this manner), more old than young and at its end, sadness crept across so many faces

I like to think that people are open minded enough to appreciate a well made film with solid performances all around, a well written screenplay based on a short story coupled with sensitive, nonexpolitative direction..........

for myself, I believe no on should be killed for whom they love

And is their any kind of movie you won't go see based upon the subject matter? How should people base their desicions to spend their beer money? Being open minded doesn't mean you have to like the same thing everyone else does.

KRW
KRW   01-18-2006, 08:37 PM
fpw Wrote:Anyone remember the uproar among the Hollywood elite about[SIZE=3]The Passion of the Christ? I can't recall that much naked hostility directed at any other film. They threw everything the had against it, including anti-Semitism. (Remember all the talk from the elite pundits -- Frank Rich in the lead -- about the tsunami of anti-Semitism it would kick off?)

I can't say a thing about the movie itself because I haven't seen it and can't imagine that I ever will, but if it caused a rise in anti-Semitism, I must have missed it.[/SIZE]

Did you hear Mr. Gibson is making another graphic movie about the Mayans? I wonder if peoples hearts being ripped out of their chests while their still alive will get the same reaction as a man being whipped and crucified?

KRW
Marc   01-18-2006, 09:01 PM
KRW Wrote:Did you hear Mr. Gibson is making another graphic movie about the Mayans?

You're thinking of Apocalypto.
Maggers   01-18-2006, 09:04 PM
KRW Wrote:.. I think it was a well done movie... But it won't get my vote for an Oscar.

It won't get my vote, either. As I stated at the start of this thread, the movie is visually breathtaking, well written and decently acted. But it's missing something at its core.

I haven't yet seen "History of Violence," "Match Point," or "The Constant Gardner." So, of the 2 Golden Globe nominated films that I saw, I'd have given the award to "Good Night and Good Luck" rather than "Brokeback Mountain" for best picture.

Actually, I'd have given best film to "Capote," but it wasn't nominated.
This post was last modified: 01-18-2006, 09:06 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   01-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Maggers Wrote:It won't get my vote, either. As I stated at the start of this thread, the movie is visually breathtaking, well written and decently acted. But it's missing something at its core.

I haven't yet seen "History of Violence," "Match Point," or "The Constant Gardner." So, of the 2 Golden Globe nominated films that I saw, I'd have given the award to "Good Night and Good Luck" rather than "Brokeback Mountain" for best picture.

Actually, I'd have given best film to "Capote," but it wasn't nominated.

I've seen The Dukes of Hazard and Serinity! Now that I think about, I've seen Star Wars III also this year. So I'm a bit lacking in the movie Department! Big Grin Serinity gets my vote. And no, I won't bet on it! Big Grin

KRW
Pages (27):    1 15 16 17 18 19 27