Pages (2):    1 2
jimbow8   07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
dejo Wrote:Okay, the RJ Wiki is expanding! As is the FPW Wiki. Although Wikipedia articles have existed in the past for these two subjects, I recently have been adding a number of new articles concerning The Repairman Jack Series and The Adversary Cycle, as a start.

There is still lots of work to be done. If you feel like contributing, you're quite welcome to. I'd suggest starting with the Wikipedia Introduction.

And I'll be looking into setting up a WikiProject/talk group there for all to discuss the more "contentious" issues. For example, this morning another contributor went and tagged all the RJ/AC novels as being in the category 'Horror novels'. My view is that these books, and many others from F. Paul, aren't so easily pigeon-holed. There are horror aspects, there are thriller aspects, there are fantasy aspects (as far as the supernatural), etc. They don't fit into any one genre, at least not in the conventional sense. I suppose we could tag them as being in all of these categories. Thoughts? Comments?
Paul does defy genre categorization.

Going strictly by the bindings on the paperpack versions of the AC and RJ:

The Keep - Novel
The Tomb - Novel
The Touch - Fiction
Reborn - Horror
Reprisal - Horror
Nightworld - Novel
Legacies - Fiction
Gateways - Fiction

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
APhew   07-27-2006, 02:56 PM
dejo Wrote:Okay, the RJ Wiki is expanding! As is the FPW Wiki. Although Wikipedia articles have existed in the past for these two subjects, I recently have been adding a number of new articles concerning The Repairman Jack Series and The Adversary Cycle, as a start.

There is still lots of work to be done. If you feel like contributing, you're quite welcome to. I'd suggest starting with the Wikipedia Introduction.

And I'll be looking into setting up a WikiProject/talk group there for all to discuss the more "contentious" issues. For example, this morning another contributor went and tagged all the RJ/AC novels as being in the category 'Horror novels'. My view is that these books, and many others from F. Paul, aren't so easily pigeon-holed. There are horror aspects, there are thriller aspects, there are fantasy aspects (as far as the supernatural), etc. They don't fit into any one genre, at least not in the conventional sense. I suppose we could tag them as being in all of these categories. Thoughts? Comments?

Hey Dejo,

I wanted to mention that work began at the end of June on the GU Compendium. In no way let this discourage you from continuing with the Wiki effort. I think what your doing and what we are doing with the Compendium are different enough to not overlap too much. The Compendium is meant to be a comprehensive and exhaustive document on how all of F. Pauls work connect to each other, plus we'll be adding a lot of other stuff once this part is done. My theory is that you can never have too many sources of information on F. Paul Wilson! Good luck with the Wiki stuff.
dejo   07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
APhew Wrote:Hey Dejo,

I wanted to mention that work began at the end of June on the GU Compendium. In no way let this discourage you from continuing with the Wiki effort. I think what your doing and what we are doing with the Compendium are different enough to not overlap too much. The Compendium is meant to be a comprehensive and exhaustive document on how all of F. Pauls work connect to each other, plus we'll be adding a lot of other stuff once this part is done. My theory is that you can never have too many sources of information on F. Paul Wilson! Good luck with the Wiki stuff.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to checking out the GU Compendium. I agree. The wiki and the compendium will serve different purposes, for the most part. I perceive the wiki as more of a quick-reference-tool whereas the compendium as more of an in-depth-analysis. If I wanted to lookup how Carol Stevens' parents died, I would look to the wiki. If I wanted to lookup whether their death might interconnect with The Otherness and the implications if it did, I would look to the GU Compendium.

And just to stress, I am not expecting to be doing the wiki work alone. I would love for any other FPW fans to help contribute. And we will probably be occasionally looking to the forum members here for advice on what, how, etc. to build-up the wiki as it progresses.
Pages (2):    1 2