Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
Jake Badlands   11-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Well I've read all the books in the RJ series and am just over halfway through Infernal. Not a huge poster on these forums, but thought I'd give it a try.

Can't help but notice Gia acting quite a bit more arrogantly in this novel. Is her attitude about life starting to change? Has she finally realised she's content in life which has created this attitude?

A couple examples would be her talking with Tom after the opera; Tom refers to it as not bruising his feelings but seems more to me like she's elevating herself instead of just saying no po. Another example is when she refers to herself as being middle class. But infact she lives in a mansion, likes (works with art?) and visits art museums, opera, etc.

Any thoughts or comments.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Jake Badlands Wrote:Well I've read all the books in the RJ series and am just over halfway through Infernal. Not a huge poster on these forums, but thought I'd give it a try.

Can't help but notice Gia acting quite a bit more arrogantly in this novel. Is her attitude about life starting to change? Has she finally realised she's content in life which has created this attitude?

A couple examples would be her talking with Tom after the opera; Tom refers to it as not bruising his feelings but seems more to me like she's elevating herself instead of just saying no po. Another example is when she refers to herself as being middle class. But infact she lives in a mansion, likes (works with art?) and visits art museums, opera, etc.

I'm posting from PA and so don't have the book with me, but wasn't maybe Gia's opera talk meant to tease Jack and his supposed lack of cultcha? And while Gia and Vicky live in a very ritzy neighborhood, that came about by accident. I don't think you have to be rich or Ivy League to enjoy museums, concerts, etc. I've been on the B&N sales floor for 22 years--no one gets rich there, believe me!--and I like classical concerts big mucho plenty. (You'd never catch me at an art museum, though.)
Maggers   11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Jake Badlands Wrote:...Another example is when she refers to herself as being middle class. But infact she lives in a mansion, likes (works with art?) and visits art museums, opera, etc.

It sounds like you think folks who like opera and art are not middle class. Is that accurate?

I consider myself solidly middle class and I attend opera occasionally. I also visit art museums. I even like to dabble in creating things, though I doubt anyone else would call them art.

Gia lives in her daughter's great aunts' mansion as caretaker, essentially, looking after the home because the aunts are "missing," though we all know where they are...or aren't.

I absolutely see Gia as a middle class farm fresh girl from the midwest who, through unforeseen circumstances, finds herself living in a fabulous house and who earns her living through her art.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Maggers Wrote:It sounds like you think folks who like opera and art are not middle class. Is that accurate?

I consider myself solidly middle class and I attend opera occasionally. I also visit art museums. I even like to dabble in creating things, though I doubt anyone else would call them art.

Gia lives in her daughter's great aunts' mansion as caretaker, essentially, looking after the home because the aunts are "missing," though we all know where they are...or aren't.

I absolutely see Gia as a middle class farm fresh girl from the midwest who, through unforeseen circumstances, finds herself living in a fabulous house and who earns her living through her art.

I think he means, she's not really the country mouse anymore. She seemed a lot more self confadint than in previous books and we heard how she truley thinks of Jack. I don't think she could live in the big city and not be affected by it. I can tell you that is fact, (At least in where I'm concerned!)

KRW
Maggers   11-16-2005, 10:24 PM
KRW Wrote:I think he means, she's not really the country mouse anymore. She seemed a lot more self confadint than in previous books and we heard how she truley thinks of Jack. I don't think she could live in the big city and not be affected by it. I can tell you that is fact, (At least in where I'm concerned!)

KRW

Yes, I agree, Ken, that Gia has become more confident, though she always seemed pretty sure of herself as far as I could see. But why would living in the big city change one's class? That doesn't make sense to me. Gia, despite living in a grand house that is not her own, seems very down to earth to me. I don't see that she has taken on the airs of the house in which she's living.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   11-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Maggers Wrote:Yes, I agree, Ken, that Gia has become more confident, though she always seemed pretty sure of herself as far as I could see. But why would living in the big city change one's class? That doesn't make sense to me. Gia, despite living in a grand house that is not her own, seems very down to earth to me. I don't see that she has taken on the airs of the house in which she's living.

I didn't say she was taking on airs. I was basicaly saying she's coming of age. She's looked through the looking glass, and with her experiance, she's seen some Sh-t. The Gia in Infernal is not the same as before. In fact, I've felt she's been getting more self confident in every book since the Tomb. IMO.

KRW
Maggers   11-17-2005, 01:04 AM
KRW Wrote:I didn't say she was taking on airs. I was basicaly saying she's coming of age. She's looked through the looking glass, and with her experiance, she's seen some Sh-t. The Gia in Infernal is not the same as before. In fact, I've felt she's been getting more self confident in every book since the Tomb. IMO.

KRW

I think we're talking about two different issues, Ken. I can see your point that Gia has grown up in terms of her relationship with Jack and all that she has seen and experienced as a result of that.

My posts have to do with Jake Badlands' original comment about Gia, stating that she is middle class and in his next sentence mentioning opera and art, as if they are mutually exclusive. IMO, they aren't.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Charleswg   11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
She's pregnant...how is anyone supposed to actually know how she acts or why? The character has to be a bit apprehensive that Jack is not legally a person...while being the father of her child.

CG
KRW   11-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Maggers Wrote:I think we're talking about two different issues, Ken. I can see your point that Gia has grown up in terms of her relationship with Jack and all that she has seen and experienced as a result of that.

My posts have to do with Jake Badlands' original comment about Gia, stating that she is middle class and in his next sentence mentioning opera and art, as if they are mutually exclusive. IMO, they aren't.

I think your right. I'll shut up now. Big Grin

KRW
Charleswg   11-17-2005, 11:49 PM
funny.
by all means- bring on the discussions. what else can we do while waiting for the next book?

CG
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4