Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Hung By The Neck Til Dead   05-31-2004, 12:49 AM
fpw Wrote:Neither would you if someone were reading the story to you. Anagrams are rarely apparent to the ear, but readily apparent to the eye if you're looking for them.

You're not the first to question this. I was trying for irony. Sometimes you can get too cute for you're own good.

Well I must admit to not seeing that reference when I read it, but I haven't reread it yet.

fpw Wrote:Yes. I like to give my regular readers a tip of the hat now and then. The house in THA appears in Reprisal (part of the Adversary Cycle). Hopefully the regulars got an extra chill when they made the connection. The stones that line the basement come from another novel.

Welcome, Scrabby

I just got a vague creepy feeling from that house but couldn't figure out why I was not liking the house other than it was central to the book
This post was last modified: 05-31-2004, 12:52 AM by Hung By The Neck Til Dead.
Manda_W   06-03-2004, 01:24 AM
I have to applaud that twist. I flipped when I realized where the Kentons lived.

OK, sorry to hijack this thread, but, I have a goofball question. I thought I was a good solid RJ fan, but there was a reference at the end of THA about the Mikulskis brothers. I have racked my fragile little blonde brain for months about this, and I can not recall. So, I throw myself on your mercy, are they from a previous novel and if so, which one?
SDSwami   06-03-2004, 02:33 AM
I think my favorite twist in all the books was having Ozymandius Prather show up with the Rakoshi. I just loved Freak Show and how that book was wrote.
fpw   06-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Manda_W Wrote:there was a reference at the end of THA about the Mikulskis brothers...are they from a previous novel and if so, which one?

I introduce them in THA. Jack gives them another call in Crisscross.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Saburo   06-06-2004, 07:05 PM
scrabby23 Wrote:one thing that stuck out with me, even though i was a new reader was that when Jack was interviewing the real estate agent Kristadoulou, he mentioned looking for anagrams for this sal roma guy. and then 2 pages later, as the history of the house unfolds. SARA LOM is mentioned. An OBVIOUS anagram of Sal Roma, yet Jack doesnt make this connection and the wilson fails to mention anything signifigant about this either.

Another thing to consider is that Jack might be more alert to males instead of females. He's met Sal Roma, but no one actually remembers seeing Ms. Aralo so he might just be thinking it's Sal who signed a female name. Since Kristadoulou goes on to describe Sara, he might not even consider that she could be Sal.

I think a good place for you to start would be The Keep, although The Tomb, the first Repairman Jack book, is another.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-06-2004, 08:02 PM
scrabby23 Wrote:k i just read haunted air, my first FPW novel and it was awesome! i have yet to read all the other RJ novels but i cant wait. one thing that stuck out with me, even though i was a new reader was that when Jack was interviewing the real estate agent Kristadoulou, he mentioned looking for anagrams for this sal roma guy. and then 2 pages later, as the history of the house unfolds. SARA LOM is mentioned. An OBVIOUS anagram of Sal Roma, yet Jack doesnt make this connection and the wilson fails to mention anything signifigant about this either. Im not familiar with FPWs style yet, is this just sorta like an inside joke between author and reader?? and it was kinda disappointing cuz Jack seems so sharp about everything yet he missed something that obvious..oh well maybe this is a stupid comment but as a first time reader i was very curious as to the motive behind this.----jason :confused: :confused:

To pick-up an anagram on the printed page is one thing, but to =hear= one is something quite different. An order-of-magnitude or more harder. Oops--I hadn't read the whole thread when I posted the above, didn't realize Paul made the same point earlier.
This post was last modified: 06-06-2004, 08:14 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
bryan01   06-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Ok, here is a question. It has been a while since I read Nightworld. I just finished The Haunted Air (excellent) and have read all of the RJ books (all excellent, actually) so I felt inclined to come to the website. Here F. Paul Wison himself said that there will never be a book after Nightworld because that would be too horrible to fathom, yet, if I remember correctly, at the end of Nightworld, Rasalom is defeated? AM I missing something?
jimbow8   06-07-2004, 11:00 PM
bryan01 Wrote:Ok, here is a question. It has been a while since I read Nightworld. I just finished The Haunted Air (excellent) and have read all of the RJ books (all excellent, actually) so I felt inclined to come to the website. Here F. Paul Wison himself said that there will never be a book after Nightworld because that would be too horrible to fathom, yet, if I remember correctly, at the end of Nightworld, Rasalom is defeated? AM I missing something?
Hi, Bryan.

I don't remember him ever saying that it would be horrible to fathom (unless he meant writing it Big Grin ). He has merely stated that he has no intentions of dealing with that world. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
bryan01   06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I guess you're right. Maybe I read too much into the FAQ where Mr. Wilson states that he doesn't want to deal with that world. Oh well, just keep the Repairman Jack novels coming and we'll all be happy. Tomorrow I'm going to grab Midnight Mass and get started on that.
Biggles   06-08-2004, 01:25 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Hi, Bryan.

I don't remember him ever saying that it would be horrible to fathom (unless he meant writing it Big Grin ). He has merely stated that he has no intentions of dealing with that world. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul?

I think you're right. The world as we know it is quite different after Nightworld, so post-Nightworld existence is clearly sci-fi stuff. Now maybe if Paul bridges the gap from Nightworld to the future LaNague Federation?

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Pages (3):    1 2 3