Pages (3): 1 2 3   
scrabby23   05-30-2004, 03:55 AM
k i just read haunted air, my first FPW novel and it was awesome! i have yet to read all the other RJ novels but i cant wait. one thing that stuck out with me, even though i was a new reader was that when Jack was interviewing the real estate agent Kristadoulou, he mentioned looking for anagrams for this sal roma guy. and then 2 pages later, as the history of the house unfolds. SARA LOM is mentioned. An OBVIOUS anagram of Sal Roma, yet Jack doesnt make this connection and the wilson fails to mention anything signifigant about this either. Im not familiar with FPWs style yet, is this just sorta like an inside joke between author and reader?? and it was kinda disappointing cuz Jack seems so sharp about everything yet he missed something that obvious..oh well maybe this is a stupid comment but as a first time reader i was very curious as to the motive behind this.----jason :confused: :confused:
This post was last modified: 05-30-2004, 04:08 AM by scrabby23.
Kenji   05-30-2004, 04:50 AM
scrabby23 Wrote:k i just read haunted air, my first FPW novel and it was awesome! i have yet to read all the other RJ novels but i cant wait. one thing that stuck out with me, even though i was a new reader was that when Jack was interviewing the real estate agent Kristadoulou, he mentioned looking for anagrams for this sal roma guy. and then 2 pages later, as the history of the house unfolds. SARA LOM is mentioned. An OBVIOUS anagram of Sal Roma, yet Jack doesnt make this connection and the wilson fails to mention anything signifigant about this either. Im not familiar with FPWs style yet, is this just sorta like an inside joke between author and reader?? and it was kinda disappointing cuz Jack seems so sharp about everything yet he missed something that obvious..oh well maybe this is a stupid comment but as a first time reader i was very curious as to the motive behind this.----jason :confused: :confused:

Welcome to board, Jason...or scrabby23? Which one? Smile

I have not read haunted Air. I still waiting for release in Japan. You mentioned Haunted Air is first FPW novel....well, I recommend to you,"The Tomb". This is first RJ novel. You will really like it.
Noelie   05-30-2004, 06:02 AM
I actually wondered too why Jack didn't pick up on the Sara Lom thing. Although, the way it's written, I think the guy refers to them as "the Loms", then talks about Herbert and Sara. Maybe it's just not that obvious if you don't see it together, like "Sara Lom". But FPW could answer that better than me. :p

Do yourself a favor...read The Keep asap.
fpw   05-30-2004, 09:20 AM
scrabby23 Wrote:SARA LOM is mentioned. An OBVIOUS anagram of Sal Roma, yet Jack doesnt make this connection ...

Neither would you if someone were reading the story to you. Anagrams are rarely apparent to the ear, but readily apparent to the eye if you're looking for them.

You're not the first to question this. I was trying for irony. Sometimes you can get too cute for you're own good.

scrabby23 Wrote:is this just sorta like an inside joke between author and reader??

Yes. I like to give my regular readers a tip of the hat now and then. The house in THA appears in Reprisal (part of the Adversary Cycle). Hopefully the regulars got an extra chill when they made the connection. The stones that line the basement come from another novel.

Welcome, Scrabby
This post was last modified: 05-30-2004, 10:57 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi, Jason. Welcome to the board.

In order to get your questions answered (most, but not all of them) you will have to read all of the Repairman Jack books as well as the Adversary Cycle (which includes The Keep, The Tomb (which is also the first RJ book), The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, Nightworld). Check out FAQ, BOOKS, and CROSS REF. links at the top of this web page for more info. Yes, it is a lot of reading, but it is WELL worth it, and by the time you read a few more fpw books, you will be frantically trying to get your hands on anything and everything THE MAN has written. For best results, read the books in the order listed (the Repairman Jack and Adversary Cycle books, anyway).

And if you have questions, just ask. Everyone here is more than happy to answer.

Jim

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Noelie   05-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Quote:Hopefully the regulars got an extra chill when they made the connection.

Mmmm, yeah. I actually said, "Oohhhh hell" out loud for that one. Wink

Quote:The stones that line the basement come from another novel.

And THAT made me say "Get out of that house NOW."

Those moments when the connections happen make chills run up my spine. I think that this is more true for these books than most novels, because once you've read most or all of the books, there is a very rich history that you are aware of. It makes the stories much more powerful, imo.
scrabby23   05-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Quote:Yes. I like to give my regular readers a tip of the hat now and then. The house in THA appears in Reprisal (part of the Adversary Cycle). Hopefully the regulars got an extra chill when they made the connection.

k just gotta confirm somthing for the new guy again. FPW is the actual FPW? how awesome! never knew authors would be so close and personal with their audience. thanks for all the answers too. i am definetly gonna read all the RJ novels and the ADVERSARY cycle since just by reading the posts i can see there is a LOT i will miss by just reading RJ. another reason FPW is becoming my new favorite author: writing several different books and series and tying them all together into one supernatural present day world. love it! thanks again everyone and especially to FPW for the great reads and my new obession. Big Grin
jimbow8   05-30-2004, 04:36 PM
scrabby23 Wrote:k just gotta confirm somthing for the new guy again. FPW is the actual FPW?
Yup! Dat is da MAN himself.
This post was last modified: 05-30-2004, 04:51 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
SDSwami   05-30-2004, 05:12 PM
scrabby23 Wrote:.

k just gotta confirm somthing for the new guy again. FPW is the actual FPW? how awesome! never knew authors would be so close and personal with their audience. thanks for all the answers too. i am definetly gonna read all the RJ novels and the ADVERSARY cycle since just by reading the posts i can see there is a LOT i will miss by just reading RJ. another reason FPW is becoming my new favorite author: writing several different books and series and tying them all together into one supernatural present day world. love it! thanks again everyone and especially to FPW for the great reads and my new obession. Big Grin

Since your just starting out on the entire series, get ready for one hell of a ride. I've never read anything remotely close to the Adversary Cycle/RJ books. Even with knowing how everything ends up in Nightworld, I can't wait to get my hands on the next RJ book.
Biggles   05-30-2004, 07:57 PM
scrabby23 Wrote:.

FPW is actually many people at once. He's also Bill Franklin, Colin Andrews and Mary Elizabeth Murphy. And it's rumored that his evil twin is named "Effy". Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Pages (3): 1 2 3