Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
thisisatest   05-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Steve D
Just wanted to start a new thread on this topic as the old thread has been pulled out to sea.

Just finished reading Wiseguys and must admit, the movie Goodfellas was better than the book. As much as I liked all the details and characters in the book, the movie captured the feel and appeal of the book and took it one step further, thanks to Joe Pesci, et al. However, I still recommend Goodfellas fans to read Wiseguys between your F. Paul Wilson reads.
Kenji   05-28-2004, 07:44 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve
Just wanted to start a new thread on this topic as the old thread has been pulled out to sea.

Just finished reading Wiseguys and must admit, the movie Goodfellas was better than the book. As much as I liked all the details and characters in the book, the movie captured the feel and appeal of the book and took it one step further, thanks to Joe Pesci, et al. However, I still recommend Goodfellas fans to read Wiseguys between your F. Paul Wilson reads.

Goodfellas!!! That is my favorite movie. Big Grin  Joe Pesci, Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, that casting was lead to success. BTW,I've never read Wiseguys...

Movies better than the books...I pick up Shawshank Redemption. That is good movie. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins did nice performance. Of course, I like original story, but movie version is more better. Wink
nonsun blob a   05-29-2004, 09:55 PM
i thought the harry potter movies i've seen were better than the books i've read. The books bore me to death.
Gord   05-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Personally I found Fight Club to be an entertaining movie while the book did nothing but annoy me. Likewise with the (Asbestoes Undies... check) LOTR books. Both might just be aversion to the respective authors writing styles though.
Scott Hajek   05-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Gord Wrote:Personally I found Fight Club to be an entertaining movie while the book did nothing but annoy me. Likewise with the (Asbestoes Undies... check) LOTR books. Both might just be aversion to the respective authors writing styles though.

Fight Club as a movie was incredible. But, the book is a different beast, but I liked it. Chuck P's books are unusual to say the least.

Hey, look at that, someone else who is on my side regarding LOTR.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Bastard   05-29-2004, 11:52 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D

The original Godfather was (in my opinion) one of the most gawd-awful books I've ever read, even though I love the first Godfather movie. To me, the skill involved seems to rank somewhere around Mick Farren's just lovely (can you feel the sarcasm dripping from my keys) vampire novels. And I apologize to all of you Mick Farren fans out there. I just find his work severely lacking...

--Jake

:eek: "Who are you mister?"
:mad: "Jacob McCandles."
:eek: "Jacob McCandles?! I thought you was dead."
:mad: "Not hardly! The next man to say that, I'm gonna shoot, so help me." -- from Big Jake
Lisa   05-30-2004, 01:58 PM
The Andromeda Strain is better than the book (sorry, Michael Crichton).

The movie of Logan's Run makes way more sense than the book.

I could never get through the LOTR books, so I'd have to say I enjoyed the films more.

The mini-series of North and South is better than the books upon which it is based.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is just as good as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, although perhaps not better.

I like the movie of The Running Man better than I liked the novella (so shoot me).

FPW always brings up Jaws. I haven't read that one, but having read a different Peter Benchley novel, I'd say he's on the money.

Lisa
jimbow8   05-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Lisa Wrote:I could never get through the LOTR books, so I'd have to say I enjoyed the films more.
Et tu, Lisa?
Lisa Wrote:I like the movie of The Running Man better than I liked the novella (so shoot me).
First of all, the novella is AWESOME! Science Fiction at its finest.
Second of all, the movie sucked! Action crapfest at its worst.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bastard   05-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Bastard Wrote:And I apologize to all of you Mick Farren fans out there. I just find his work severely lacking...

This is not a personal slight to Mr. Farren. After all, he's published and I'm not...

:eek: "Who are you mister?"
:mad: "Jacob McCandles."
:eek: "Jacob McCandles?! I thought you was dead."
:mad: "Not hardly! The next man to say that, I'm gonna shoot, so help me." -- from Big Jake
Ken Valentine   05-31-2004, 05:32 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Et tu, Lisa?

First of all, the novella is AWESOME! Science Fiction at its finest.
Second of all, the movie sucked! Action crapfest at its worst.

A perfect description of Starship Troopers. Big Grin

Ken - rubbing it in - V.
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5