Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 08:49 PM
KRW Wrote:Spoiler for Hosts.

Actually.................. In Hosts, Jack is yelling for anyone that might have a gun to use it so he wouldn't have to pull his. The only reason he helped was because no one else could take that guy down and time was running out. As a matter of fact, those people turned his stomach because they couldn't defend themselves. That was no good deed, that was self preservation.

It has been made pretty clear that Jack is no "do gooder". He can't allow bad things to happen in his sight, but he doesn't go looking to help strangers. It's more like he is annoyed that he is forced to help a stranger, but something inside him just won't let him turn his back.
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 08:54 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:Jack is a vigilante, I get that. However, he doesn't hurt anyone that doesn't deserve to get hurt. Really bad! It is a shame that some of his clients aren't saved, like the nun for example. It isn't all neat and tidy either, but then that is what makes the revenge so satisfying. I like that part, and I suspect that its a part of what would make him an attractive hero to us all. Jack avenges and meets out Justice to characters who won't get it otherwise.

He isn't a vigilante either. He isn't out looking for justice. He does a job, for money. Sometimes the jobs he does bring justice, but his goal is only to perform the service needed by his customers for a steep fee. His prices aren't exactly reasonable. If he's going to put his neck on the line he's going to be well compensated for it. He calls it offering value for value.
This post was last modified: 11-09-2005, 08:58 PM by t4terrific.
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Couldn't agree more! Cool

The thing that redeems Jack is his well developed senses of loyalty, right and wrong, and honor. These are characteristics that many who follow the laws of our society sorely lack (including those that make and enforce those laws).
KRW   11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
t4terrific Wrote:The thing that redeems Jack is his well developed senses of loyalty, right and wrong, and honor. These are characteristics that many who follow the laws of our society sorely lack (including those that make and enforce those laws).

I also love the fact that his handshake is his guarantee. I still do some business like that. I've also done jobs for people that needed it for a home made loaf of pumpkin bread. As far as value for value in those cases, I felt I took advantage. One time it was home made cinnamon rolls. I love the barter system!
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:It's easy to be kind hearted among those one truly loves. By all accounts, Josef Goebbels and Martin Bormann were the epitome of doting, nurturing parents and kind hearted family men. But outside the home they were cruel, heartless and without any particle of humanity to be recognized.

I take your point, but there is evidence that Jack comes to care for some of his clients as well as loved ones. I mentioned the nun since she was fresh in mind, but the courage of the reporter caused him to care a lot about her, and she was just a source, someone who was helping get the goods on the organization. He feels responsible, and he felt remorse when he couldn’t protect her.
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 09:38 PM
t4terrific Wrote:He isn't a vigilante either. He isn't out looking for justice. He does a job, for money. Sometimes the jobs he does bring justice, but his goal is only to perform the service needed by his customers for a steep fee. His prices aren't exactly reasonable. If he's going to put his neck on the line he's going to be well compensated for it. He calls it offering value for value.

True, but he goes out of his way to deliver justice. Especially if connected to Otherness. He says that he's only in it for the fee, but he finds a way to combine fixes and he has lowered fees even when he says he *never* does that. Although the cross purposes in the fixes seem to be pre-ordained, right.
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Since you haven't specifically mentioned it, I must ask whether you have read The Keep. If not, that should be the NEXT thing you read.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks, No I don't think so. I believe The Tomb was the first and then the other Repairman Jack novels.
KRW   11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:Thanks, No I don't think so. I believe The Tomb was the first and then the other Repairman Jack novels.

Not a bad route, IMO. But if you haven't read The Keep then you're missing out on some major players.Read, The Keep, The Touch, Reborn and Reprisal, that all lead up to Night World! You must read these to get the big picture.

Welcome to the board
Scott Miller   11-09-2005, 11:10 PM
KRW Wrote:My mammery is not what it once was! KRW

Did you have it reduced due to back pain?

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   11-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Did you have it reduced due to back pain?

Hum along with me folks....

Thaaaaaanks, for the mammaries! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4