Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I have been a fan of F Paul Wilson’s for several years now and starting with the Tomb, read all of the Repairman Jack novels. While it seems kinda romantic to be someone selected by the great powers of the universe to be their “hand” in matters, and really an intense experience to live off the books like Jack does, is it really plausible for someone who isn't a criminal? I hope that doesn't sound too naive, but Jack lives in a whole other world.

How is he ever going to move back to legitimate society? I was thinking about this when Jack starts to consider it when he falls in love and wants to be Vicki’s dad, etc. It looked as if Wilson was going to chart a path back for Jack, but it must have been too conventional, implausible or something, maybe impossible, because with the last novel, being formally pronounced the ONE, he’ll forever be some sort of Emissary.
This post was last modified: 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM by EldoradoEd.
Ossicle   11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:is it really plausible for someone who isn't a criminal? I hope that doesn't sound too naive, but Jack lives in a whole other world.

Jack IS a criminal. Smile

Quote:How is he ever going to move back to legitimate society?
We'll find out. That's why FPW is FPW and we're not!
APhew   11-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Jack IS a criminal. Smile

Unless there is some pretty drastic changes to "Nightworld" with Jack's character, I don't see any big changes to his lifestyle. I guess it could be possible with a few tweaks here and there, but (IMO) I don't see a big change in the future. Remember that Jack does have a role in the events to come, but Glaeken is the true "one".
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Jack IS a criminal. Smile

I mean criminal in a moral sense. He does what he does, but for a client who has suffered some wrong and needs unconventional help only he can provide. Jack isn't a burgular, thief, or a hitman, leg breaker, etc. Of course, he doesn't pay his fair share of taxes, does he? Big Grin
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:I mean criminal in a moral sense. He does what he does, but for a client who has suffered some wrong and needs unconventional help only he can provide. Jack isn't a burgular, thief, or a hitman, leg breaker, etc. Of course, he doesn't pay his fair share of taxes, does he? Big Grin

Gleaken went back to a normal life, only to be ripped from it again.
Scott Miller   11-09-2005, 04:30 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:I mean criminal in a moral sense. He does what he does, but for a client who has suffered some wrong and needs unconventional help only he can provide. Jack isn't a burgular, thief, or a hitman, leg breaker, etc. Of course, he doesn't pay his fair share of taxes, does he? Big Grin

Actually he pays just the right amount of taxes.

Jack is only criminal according to the laws created by man, he obeys natural law to the nth degree.

Oh and welcome to the board, EE.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 05:13 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Gleaken went back to a normal life, only to be ripped from it again.
After searching I see Gleaken is part of the Advesary circle. I may have to get those books. Does he compare to Jack, that is an integral part, or is he incidental to the series?
Ossicle   11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Jack is only criminal according to the laws created by man, he obeys natural law to the nth degree.

Somehow I feel like a 500 page book could be written examining this question, but what the heck... Wink
EldoradoEd   11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Somehow I feel like a 500 page book could be written examining this question, but what the heck... Wink

Jack is a vigilante, I get that. However, he doesn't hurt anyone that doesn't deserve to get hurt. Really bad! It is a shame that some of his clients aren't saved, like the nun for example. It isn't all neat and tidy either, but then that is what makes the revenge so satisfying. I like that part, and I suspect that its a part of what would make him an attractive hero to us all. Jack avenges and meets out Justice to characters who won't get it otherwise.
Ossicle   11-09-2005, 06:45 PM
EldoradoEd Wrote:Jack is a vigilante, I get that. However, he doesn't hurt anyone that doesn't deserve to get hurt. Really bad! It is a shame that some of his clients aren't saved, like the nun for example. It isn't all neat and tidy either, but then that is what makes the revenge so satisfying. I like that part, and I suspect that its a part of what would make him an attractive hero to us all. Jack avenges and meets out Justice to characters who won't get it otherwise.

Couldn't agree more! Cool
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4