Pages (2):    1 2
jimbow8   10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Well, the first remake, of the origional was pretty good. The next remake could be hit or miss.
I can think of at least three IotBS movies and the first (B&W) was by far the best.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
hford713   10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
t4terrific Wrote:I think he has lost his touch, and most of it stems from bigger budgets. He was forced to be so creative and imaginative before, and it seems much of that has been lost since he can just buy whatever fx or sets he needs now.

I think he was just an Executive Producer, since the origional was his. Just like Vampires 2 and all the Halloween sequels. They attatch his name to it to help sell the sequels or remakes. All directors do that. The Executive Producer bit, in this case, is just a credit, all contributions were made long ago, when he made the origional film.
Carpenter always had an eerie feel to his earlier films. That is gone. Lately, they're just bubble gum pictures. Back then it was his scoring, cinematography, casting and most importantly, his direction. That is long gone now.
re: Him being an Exec Prod... with the new Fog, he's actually credited as one its Producers.
ps. Did I hear correctly that The Thing is being remade [again]?
man bites snake   10-24-2005, 11:32 PM
went to hell. I mean him no disrespect, but Ghosts of Mars was just horrible. The original Fog was a spooky film, little to no gore. It used settings and storytelling to hold the audience. I was 13yrs old when I snuck in to see this(1978 thru 1983 were great horror film years) and it scared me for days. I really dug the The Thing remake too, lots of solid atmosphere and Kurt Russell to boot. In recent years, In the Mouth of Madness was very creepy but it didn't work as a whole. Maybe the whole budget thing is really the reason. There will only ever be one Halloween though, Hollywood would be hard pressed to find that people really wanted a remake.
t4terrific   10-24-2005, 11:40 PM
hford713 Wrote:Carpenter always had an eerie feel to his earlier films. That is gone. Lately, they're just bubble gum pictures. Back then it was his scoring, cinematography, casting and most importantly, his direction. That is long gone now.
re: Him being an Exec Prod... with the new Fog, he's actually credited as one its Producers.
ps. Did I hear correctly that The Thing is being remade [again]?

With all the great books waiting for film adaptations, and great talents with screenplays sitting around on shelves, remaking films for the third and fourth time is getting a little too silly.
t4terrific   10-24-2005, 11:50 PM
man bites snake Wrote:went to hell. I mean him no disrespect, but Ghosts of Mars was just horrible. The original Fog was a spooky film, little to no gore. It used settings and storytelling to hold the audience. I was 13yrs old when I snuck in to see this(1978 thru 1983 were great horror film years) and it scared me for days. I really dug the The Thing remake too, lots of solid atmosphere and Kurt Russell to boot. In recent years, In the Mouth of Madness was very creepy but it didn't work as a whole. Maybe the whole budget thing is really the reason. There will only ever be one Halloween though, Hollywood would be hard pressed to find that people really wanted a remake.

I love Halloween too. I thank God and John Carpenter for inventing the Michael Myers character. For me, he's like Jason, no matter how bad the film is, if there's a heavy dose of Michael Myers, I'm in. The character is just so cool. I remember watching one of the Halloween films, at the theater (I think it was the last one before H2O). It was the one where Michael was being controled by the other dark character. For most of the film, I was really pissed. Michael wasn't doing much. He was being told what to do like a puppet. He wasn't his usual psycho-unstoppable single-minded killer self. Then there was the scene where he finds the knife in the hospital, goes ballistic, and just butchers everyone, even his "allies". I litterally yelled, "Yeah!!! Kill those f**kers!!!" aloud in the theater. (I wasn't alone either.)
I've liked all the Michael Myers Halloween films except for Revolutions. I couldn't bear to finish it. A theater walk-out.
saynomore   10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Re the new version of The Fog, it is as good as the original, both B movies with A movie in mind. The new version, however, has great flashback scenes that expand on the original version´s intents, and the ending sums up the whole of the movie if you pay attention to the clues throughout the flick. I watched this latter movie twice and got more out of it the second time, while my girlfriend who only watched it once was asking alot of questions about the continuity of the storyline because it does seem confusing if you don´t pay attention to the dialogue.
The original version had Adr¡anne Barbeau. Nuff said.

AC
Pages (2):    1 2