Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   10-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I know, I know, I know . . . but li’l F got hooked on hensei when he first saw “Godzilla” in the movies, and every so often big F likes to revisit his youth. Hensei is Japanese (maybe Kenji can give a better translation) for “giant rubber-suit monster movie.” The hensei parthenon is full of silly, improbable monsters, but none sillier or more improbable than Gamera, the giant turtle that spins through the air like a rocket-propelled frisbee. This is the first of a re-imagined Gamera series; it will be the last I’ll watch. They say you can never go home again. In this case, they’re right.

FF= 4.5 (I started off FF-ing between the monster sightings, then found myself FF-ing through the monster-fu)
This post was last modified: 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Flinx   10-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I got this one & the two sequels but much prefer the original movies.
Kenji   10-20-2005, 10:35 AM
fpw Wrote:I know, I know, I know . . . but li’l F got hooked on hensei when he first saw “Godzilla” in the movies, and every so often big F likes to revisit his youth. Hensei is Japanese (maybe Kenji can give a better translation) for “giant rubber-suit monster movie.” The hensei parthenon is full of silly, improbable monsters, but none sillier or more improbable than Gamera, the giant turtle that spins through the air like a rocket-propelled frisbee. This is the first of a re-imagined Gamera series; it will be the last I’ll watch. They say you can never go home again. In this case, they’re right.

"Giant rubber-suit monster movie", we call it "Kaiju eiga". (Monster=Kaiju, eiga=movie.). Anyway, when I was kid I saw Gamera. That movie is for kids, not for adults. Maybe your grandson or granddaughter would love it. I "liked" Gamera. But now I don't wanna see it again. Rolleyes

Quote:FF= 4.5 (I started off FF-ing between the monster sightings, then found myself FF-ing through the monster-fu)

Well, if I have FF button like yours, my button is FF4.5 = stop. :p
Scott Miller   10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I always liked Gamera. Gamera vs. Monster X is my all time favorite Kaiju eiga movie. I'm also partial to the one where Gamera goes to another planet and fights that monster with the blade face that can fire those shuriken-type thingies from the side of its nose.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
BrettM   10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
I believe "hensei" is used to refer only to the recent remakes (1985 and later?) of the rubber suiters, not to the original series. I think the word actually means "degenerate" in this usage, but I won't swear to it. "Metamorphic" is another possibility. Maybe even "revisionist". (It's one of those Japanese words that has about a hundred meanings that you can only distinguish if you see which kanji are used to write it. Maybe Kenji can help on this one.) I don't know if the term is ever used in Japan to describe the remakes, or if it is something coined by American fandom.
This post was last modified: 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM by BrettM.

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
Kenji   10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
BrettM Wrote:I believe "hensei" is used to refer only to the recent remakes (1985 and later?) of the rubber suiters, not to the original series. I think the word actually means "degenerate" in this usage, but I won't swear to it. "Metamorphic" is another possibility. Maybe even "revisionist". (It's one of those Japanese words that has about a hundred meanings that you can only distinguish if you see which kanji are used to write it. Maybe Kenji can help on this one.) I don't know if the term is ever used in Japan to describe the remakes, or if it is something coined by American fandom.

Ah.....hmm, if that meaning is also "Transformation", it's not "Hensei", it's "Henkei". In kanji, it's "変形".
fpw   10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Kenji Wrote:Ah.....hmm, if that meaning is also "Transformation", it's not "Hensei", it's "Henkei". In kanji, it's "変形".
Thanks. My translation came from someone who did not speak Japanese but thought he knew what the word meant.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
fpw Wrote:Thanks. My translation came from someone who did not speak Japanese but thought he knew what the word meant.

I know. Japanese words are difficult. Everybody say so. Alphabets has 26 characters, but Hiragana and Katakana has each 50 characters. Also, Kanji(Chinese characters) has..... I can't count them! :eek: (maybe XiaoYu knows) Sometimes even I forget some Kanji.
Kenji   10-21-2005, 11:50 AM
New Gamera movie......this is too silly movie! Rolleyes

http://www.gamera.jp/movie/gamera_trailer01_l.wvx
Scott Miller   10-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Kenji Wrote:New Gamera movie......this is too silly movie! Rolleyes

It was always too silly, we're just supposedly grown up now.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (2): 1 2