Pages (2): 1 2   
Kenji   05-26-2004, 09:33 AM
I wish, this should be make into a film.
fpw   05-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:I wish, this should be make into a film.

Well, a lot of Hollywood people were interested (ie, asking for copies) after reading the PW review but no one made an offer. I wasn't surprised. SIBS would be a very difficult adaptation. Yes, it has its visual moments, but the major conflicts / battles take place inside people's heads--you can't see a struggle for mind control. I suppose there are ways to show that someone else is in control of the character you're seeing on the screen, but it's a tightrope: too subtle and many people won't get it, too obvious and you're into Hokeyville.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-26-2004, 10:06 AM
This is one of the reasons I think The Select would be an excellent movie. It has that struggle for mind control but on a much more visual (filmable) level. Has there been any interest in The Select?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   05-26-2004, 10:11 AM
fpw Wrote:Well, a lot of Hollywood people were interested (ie, asking for copies) after reading the PW review but no one made an offer. I wasn't surprised. SIBS would be a very difficult adaptation. Yes, it has its visual moments, but the major conflicts / battles take place inside people's heads--you can't see a struggle for mind control. I suppose there are ways to show that someone else is in control of the character you're seeing on the screen, but it's a tightrope: too subtle and many people won't get it, too obvious and you're into Hokeyville.

Hmm...,yes you right. It's difficult. I just thought Brian DePalma would make a good adaptation. But I still want see this movie version. Smile

Maybe you can make this movie. You are director and writer and producer....no?
fpw   05-26-2004, 10:54 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:This is one of the reasons I think The Select would be an excellent movie. It has that struggle for mind control but on a much more visual (filmable) level. Has there been any interest in The Select?

A couple of options. One even got as far as a screenplay -- an awful thing with chases and explosions in the finale. And then there was Extreme Measures (the film) which ripped off a lot from the end of The Select.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
fpw Wrote:A couple of options. One even got as far as a screenplay -- an awful thing with chases and explosions in the finale. And then there was Extreme Measures (the film) which ripped off a lot from the end of The Select.
Car chases? Explosions? EGADS, man! The story had a built in chase through the building and across the campus (didn't it? - well, not in cars).

Is that the one with Michael Keaton? I got pretty bored with that movie and must've only been half paying attention because I don't remember anything about it. I saw it before I had read the Select also, so I wouldn't have recognized the references anyway.
This post was last modified: 05-26-2004, 12:34 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Dave   05-26-2004, 01:03 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Car chases? Explosions? EGADS, man! The story had a built in chase through the building and across the campus (didn't it? - well, not in cars).

Is that the one with Michael Keaton? I got pretty bored with that movie and must've only been half paying attention because I don't remember anything about it. I saw it before I had read the Select also, so I wouldn't have recognized the references anyway.

I think it had Gene Hackman and Hugh Grant in it.

Dave
jimbow8   05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Dave Wrote:I think it had Gene Hackman and Hugh Grant in it.

Dave
Oh, OK. I know I never saw that one. Is it any good? The one with Michael Keaton is Desperate Measures.

Dave   05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Oh, OK. I know I never saw that one. Is it any good? The one with Michael Keaton is Desperate Measures.

No idea, it was on tv the other day and looked a bit rubbish. Hugh doesn't do serious roles very well in my opinion.

Dave
iambear   05-26-2004, 01:54 PM
i think that all the rage would make a grea movie.
you got that huge fight outside the museum and then the car rage sceen
would prolly be a lot of fun to make too

growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional :p
Pages (2): 1 2