Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Dave   09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
fpw Wrote:I've never seen "Firefly." Will that matter in regard to Serenity?

As someone that did see Firefly it is difficult to judge, but from general reports I've heard it isn't a problem.

The film is very busy throughout (amazed how much they crammed in), and the beginning is exposition heavy, but done in a very interesting way.

But if you can, check out the tv show beforehand. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it will make the film that much sweeter.

Dave
Scott Hajek   09-09-2005, 11:02 AM

I'm guessing not, based on Dave's comments and others I've read. But, do yourself a huge favor and fit "Firefly" into your schedule. Worth every gorram minute!

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
jimbow8   09-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:
I'm guessing not, based on Dave's comments and others I've read. But, do yourself a huge favor and fit "Firefly" into your schedule. Worth every gorram minute!
Put it in your Netflix queue now. You won't be disappointed.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
IAmSpartachris   09-17-2005, 10:33 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Put it in your Netflix queue now. You won't be disappointed.

I have to second this. You will not only thank us for suggesting it, but you WILL watch it many times and your enjoyment of it will not fade with repeat viewings.

The problem with doing nothing, is not knowing when you're finished.
Marc   09-18-2005, 02:14 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Dave, does that mean you are coming over? Let me know what help you need.

Sorry Jim. Forgot you were interested in helping out. Send me a PM or an e-mail with the days you think you might be able to come up and give a hand. Remember that it's a 5-6 hour drive to location from Chicago so be prepared for two days of travel alone.
Marc   09-18-2005, 02:15 AM
IAmSpartachris Wrote:I have to second this. You will not only thank us for suggesting it, but you WILL watch it many times and your enjoyment of it will not fade with repeat viewings.

And I'll third this. Definitely worth a watch. Television at its best.
Maggers   09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Marc B. Wrote:And I'll third this. Definitely worth a watch. Television at its best.

I'll add a quarter note here. "Firefly" is a great little series that I missed the first time around. Most definitely worth watching...more than once.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Mick C.   09-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I just picked up the DVD of the series, as I wanted to watch it before the movie came out.

I've only watched the first two episodes (the 2-parter premiere and the episode after that), and all I can say is WOW!, well worth watching. Very intelligent, funny, resonant series. Great cast, great FX, amazing design elements, well-crafted fictional universe. I can't wait to see what comes next, and am looking forward to the film (Gotta race through the series before the premiere!)

And this has to be the first series where there actually is no sound in space.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
BrettM   09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Four more days! (I can't remember the last time I planned on attending a movie on its opening day!)

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
Anders Monsen   09-28-2005, 12:52 AM
I caught Serenity tonight as a special preview. I can only echo Dave's words. I plan to see it again Friday and this time I'll fork over my coin for the experience.

As to the question whether or not you need to see Firefly before you see this movie, the answer is yes and no. You can enjoy it without having seen Firefly, but if you have seen all the DVD episodes it will enrich your experience, making the sweet moments that much sweeter, and the tragic ones that much harder to bear. I'm working on a lengthier, spoiler-free review for publication elsewhere.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5