Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
Blake   09-05-2005, 05:41 PM
fpw Wrote:The most embarrassing typo for me was "brassieres." I wasn't paying all that much attention to my spellchecker and allowed it to substitue that for "basseries."

Ha! I was wondering what that was supposed to be. Smile But the phrase "metamorphosed into brassieres" is just begging to be used somewhere.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   09-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Blake Wrote:Ha! I was wondering what that was supposed to be. Smile But the phrase "metamorphosed into brassieres" is just begging to be used somewhere.

Blake

I think Dylan used it in a BASEMENT TAPES outtake. Richard Manuel sang the song. Nice Garth Hudson keyboard work too.
Maggers   09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
OK, I broke down and spent $.49 on "The Long Way Home," which I have in the hardcover anthology, "Dark at Heart."

I re-read the original story tonight, and then read the online version. It seems the continuity issues all have to do with the update.

For instance, a description of Jack is inserted that lets us know he looks like "everyman," and he is said to be wearing steel-tipped boots, which are never mentioned again. The boots don't appear in the original. The only mention of footwear in the original refers to whispering sneakers, which is what Jack wears throughout the rest of the online version as well.

In the online version the young cop is introduced as a 22 year old and later is remembered as being only 20.

And of course, the Upper West Side is now full of yuppie serving brassieres. I've personally witnessed those brassieres, and they do serve those yuppies quite well. Big Grin

I noticed that Julio's dialect is more pronunced in the online version, and instead of sitting on a carton of Budweiser in his storeroom, Julio waits for Jack while perched on a stack of Yeungling Lager.

Reeboks morphed to Puma's, Iced T to Fiddy Cent, Metallica to Motorhead, and interestingly, Gregory Hines to Fred Astaire.

It was fun to read the two versions back to back and see the updates. Fun to watch the mind of a master at work.

I also wrote a review on amazon.com, though it might take a day or so to appear.
This post was last modified: 09-06-2005, 12:23 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
fpw Wrote:The most embarrassing typo for me was "brassieres." I wasn't paying all that much attention to my spellchecker and allowed it to substitue that for "basseries."

Actually, Paul, I think you wanted "brasseries," otherwise Julio's competitors would be serving lots 'o fish.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

fpw   09-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Maggers Wrote:Actually, Paul, I think you wanted "brasseries," otherwise Julio's competitors would be serving lots 'o fish.

Another goddamn typo! I'm cursed.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Blake   09-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Maggers Wrote:Actually, Paul, I think you wanted "brasseries," otherwise Julio's competitors would be serving lots 'o fish.

Do you mean serving fish to people or serving drinks to fish? And do the fish have really deep voices? That's an important distinction. (Naturally, all the bartenders would then be named Gil, not Julio.)

Ah, my sense of humor has hit a low note today.

I must confess my ignorance, though: I never knew the word "brasserie" before this. Is this mainly an east coast term or am I just thoroughly uncultured?

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Maggers   09-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Blake Wrote:Do you mean serving fish to people or serving drinks to fish? And do the fish have really deep voices? That's an important distinction. (Naturally, all the bartenders would then be named Gil, not Julio.)

Ah, my sense of humor has hit a low note today.

I must confess my ignorance, though: I never knew the word "brasserie" before this. Is this mainly an east coast term or am I just thoroughly uncultured?

Blake

ROFL! Blake, too funny. Brasserie seemed to pop up in New York in the late '60's, I think. Or maybe that's the time I became interested in establishments serving alchohol and food! Big Grin

I suspect the word has been in use around the City since forever, given its French origins.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4