Pages (13):    1 9 10 11 12 13   
Charleswg   11-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Anyone give a thought as to if/when Jack's brother Tom makes a reappearance in the series?
and as to the book's strength....well- think if it as a set up novel to the next one. I like to think of each book now as a chapter.

CG
mike36799   11-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Charleswg Wrote:Anyone give a thought as to if/when Jack's brother Tom makes a reappearance in the series?
and as to the book's strength....well- think if it as a set up novel to the next one. I like to think of each book now as a chapter.

I think someone was eyeballing that theory up a little bit ago. Yah, I could see it happening. It was my friend I just lent the book to that came up to me and mentioned the whole concept. Personally, I didn't even think of the idea, during my read I was thinking mainly of how Jack would even get back. I could see something of a possessed otherness Tom as mentioned before.
Scott Miller   11-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I liked Infernal a lot. Granted there was not as much physical action as we have become accustomed to, but there was plenty of dramatic tension to fill the void. I find Jack's dilemma of maintaining his 'off the board' life fascinating. My only complaint is that I knew that there was no way Jack would disappear and that it was fairly obvious who his replacement would end up being.

As for the complaints about Gia, I find them to be unfounded. I think she is a great character and, IMO, I think FPW describes her frequently because each of the RJ books works on a stand alone basis. Someone who has never read any of the RJ novels could pick up Infernal, read it and find it worthwhile, but those people would have no idea who Gia is so he must take the time to introduce her to first-time readers.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Paul R   11-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:As for the complaints about Gia, I find them to be unfounded. I think she is a great character and, IMO, I think FPW describes her frequently because each of the RJ books works on a stand alone basis. Someone who has never read any of the RJ novels could pick up Infernal, read it and find it worthwhile, but those people would have no idea who Gia is so he must take the time to introduce her to first-time readers.

This is a good point. I find myself looking forward to what new ways FPW will find to describe things he has already described many times before. Scott's point about Gia is one, and another is the whole Abe thing. How many more ways could there be to decribe how Abe is? His appearance, his ramshackle shop, his real business, even Parabellum. They're all given new treatments in each book (for the new readers), but those descriptions (to me, at least) are still a treat to long time readers who already know who they are and what they're like.
hford713   12-02-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm vacationing in Florida and managed to find a copy at a local Borders.
Reading it now, and - suprise, suprise - am digging it very much (enjoying in particular its pace.)
Odd thing is, after reading FPW's works since 83-ish, I still can't picture Jack's face. :confused:
Sam   12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Uh...got a question that may have been discussed before but I don't recall seeing this. This may sound goofy but it triggered a question in me while reading Infernal.

Jack doesn't believe in God, correct?? So why does he say "Jesus" and "Goddamn" all the time when cursing? Why not "by Buddha be damned" or "may Kali feast on your soul" or some such other curse of equal non-iconic-belief? Taking the Lord's name in vain is supposed to be the worst curse to utter. But if you don't believe in God then why would such a curse even be in your vocabulary? Just wondering if Jack is subconsciously wrestling with his beliefs?

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Charleswg   12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
More than likely it's just the expression he and most of learned while we grew up. It sums up frustration and when things go wrong or such. Those who do believe in God are the ones who are NOT supposed to use it....so, if he doesn't believe, why not use the expression? Anyway- just an eastcoasters impression.

CG
t4terrific   12-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Sam Wrote:Uh...got a question that may have been discussed before but I don't recall seeing this. This may sound goofy but it triggered a question in me while reading Infernal.

Jack doesn't believe in God, correct?? So why does he say "Jesus" and "Goddamn" all the time when cursing? Why not "by Buddha be damned" or "may Kali feast on your soul" or some such other curse of equal non-iconic-belief? Taking the Lord's name in vain is supposed to be the worst curse to utter. But if you don't believe in God then why would such a curse even be in your vocabulary? Just wondering if Jack is subconsciously wrestling with his beliefs?

He's American. Those are curses that are embedded in our culture.

I don't know any Christians who use those curses.
KRW   12-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Sam Wrote:Uh...got a question that may have been discussed before but I don't recall seeing this. This may sound goofy but it triggered a question in me while reading Infernal.

First, let's define cursing. It's nothing but the shocking power of a word.
Say crap is acceptable but shit isn't? Someone tell me the differance between the two, when they mean the same thing, and why one is more acceptable than the other? Goddamn is only offensive to those that believe in God. Buddha be damned is only offensive to those that belive in it.Etc. etc.etc.

Why do we use cusswords? They are an exclamation, nothing less and nothing more. We use them to show excitement, disdain, anger, sadness happiness,etc.etc.etc. Jack learned his cuss words in America, so he uses the ones he's heard, (as do I) Big Grin

KRW
fpw   12-03-2005, 09:06 AM
t4terrific Wrote:He's American. Those are curses that are embedded in our culture.

I think that pretty well nails it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (13):    1 9 10 11 12 13