JonHook   07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
This is a question for F. Paul, why the change in cover art style on the RJ books starting with Gateways?

The spectral silhouette on the other novels was such a cool unifying design element. I really missed it on the latest novels.

Also, the new design almost has a cigar band feel to it. Was that by design? Do you get a say-so in the art and/or design of the cover?
fpw   07-08-2005, 07:40 AM
JonHook Wrote:Also, the new design almost has a cigar band feel to it. Was that by design? Do you get a say-so in the art and/or design of the cover?

I liked the old design, but I like the new design too. The publisher thinks it gives the series more of a "big book" feel. I get input but only so much. The sales department rules the day. If they say, "I can't sell this cover," then no matter how much I like it, how much the editor likes it, how much the art director likes it, it is GONE.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
fpw Wrote: If they say, "I can't sell this cover," then no matter how much I like it, how much the editor likes it, how much the art director likes it, it is GONE.

Really? I thought you have the decisive power.
CANADIANRJFAN   07-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Two-thumbs up for the new covers - GATEWAYS would appear equally intriguing sitting next to John Le Carre on a store book shelf.

(I know, I know this goes without saying ...)
XiaoYu   07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I always thought it was a shame authors don't get more say in covers because even though people say they don't judge books by their covers, I have to admit I'm attrached to cool cover art. Plus I've found annoying problems in covers, or covers that don't even correlate to the novel contents.

Do authors never get to have more direct control over cover art and illustrations?

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
fpw   07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:Do authors never get to have more direct control over cover art and illustrations?

The Kings and Grishams can certainly get it if they want it.

The whole idea its to attract your attention so you'll pick it up for a closer look. Once it's in your hand, the chances of a sale rise exponentially. Rick Hautala's first novel was the first cover to incorporate a hologram. Sold a million copies. He's never come close to that since.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
XiaoYu   07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
fpw Wrote:The Kings and Grishams can certainly get it if they want it.

The whole idea its to attract your attention so you'll pick it up for a closer look. Once it's in your hand, the chances of a sale rise exponentially. Rick Hautala's first novel was the first cover to incorporate a hologram. Sold a million copies. He's never come close to that since.
Guess sales tactics really are useful sometimes. :p

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
t4terrific   07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:Two-thumbs up for the new covers - GATEWAYS would appear equally intriguing sitting next to John Le Carre on a store book shelf.

(I know, I know this goes without saying ...)

I too like the new cover ideaology. It looks more artistic. It makes me feel like I've found something with real value.
KRW   07-16-2005, 10:12 PM
t4terrific Wrote:I too like the new cover ideaology. It looks more artistic. It makes me feel like I've found something with real value.

To pervert a phrase, " You can judge this book by it's cover!"
If it draws in more fans for Jack and FPW, so much the better! I hope you enjoyed it as much as me! BTW, Welcome to the board!

KRW
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 06:54 PM
KRW Wrote:To pervert a phrase, " You can judge this book by it's cover!"
If it draws in more fans for Jack and FPW, so much the better! I hope you enjoyed it as much as me! BTW, Welcome to the board!

KRW

Thanks K R dub. I love it.