Maggers   07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
I recently finished "Midnight Mass" and loved it, natch.

I was impressed with the sensitivity with which FPW wrote about Catholicism, and in particular, the genuine fondness for the old time religion that was evidenced. That's not to say that the book was without its (rightful) criticism of the Church and its caretakers, those who abuse and misappropriate the trust put in them by followers.

But the balance between those divergent viewpoints was striking to me.

As a Catholic in recovery (a nifty turn of phrase used by FPW in his foreword), "Midnight Mass" made me look back at my life as a Catholic with, dare I say, fondness. There was an innocence captured by FPW in "Midnight Mass" that I miss. I almost ache for it, that sense that goodness counts, redemption can be achieved, and prayers can be answered.

Actually, goodness, redemption and prayer are all part of my life, but in a very different way than when I was a practicing Catholic.

I'm not quite capturing what I experienced in reading "Midnight Mass." Nostalgia may be close to it. Life seemed simpler then, more black and white, actions and consequences followed logically.

Perhaps I'm simply missing my youth, and the simplistic views I held then.

It never fails that, despite the topic, FPW's books are thoughtfully provocative, even while scaring the bejesus out of you!
This post was last modified: 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Medusa   07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I, too, loved Midnight Mass. But unfortunately, like The Keep, the movie is awful. Maybe they'll both be remade someday.
JonHook   07-08-2005, 12:29 AM
I too just finished Midnight Mass, (I picked it up at the library while I was waiting for my copy of The Keep to arrive from Amazon).

I don't practice a faith or religion, so those elements didn't effect me on a personal level, but it was very entertaining to really feel each character's POV on their faith and how it does or does not sustain them through a vampire apokolypse.

I wonder if F. Paul will ever return to that world for a sequel?
Keith the Elder   07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Medusa Wrote:I, too, loved Midnight Mass. But unfortunately, like The Keep, the movie is awful. Maybe they'll both be remade someday.

The movie wasn't as bad as The Keep, it had a story and continuity that The Keep lacked. And that guy on the TV was great, I thought he was, like, a real doctor!!!

keith the elder

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
stacyzinda123   07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I really enjoyed midnight mass too. Vampire novels usually aren't my favorite, but of course, I loved FPW's. I really enjoy seeing the extreme shifts in personality and outlook that occur in characters in FPW's books. The shift in Carol from before the vampires came to after was striking, yet believeable. The shift in Father Joe was even more dramatic and I really enjoy that. The characters really come alive.