Pages (2):    1 2
fpw   07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Did you spend any time in Japan when researching the book?

Nope. Wanted to but the Japan I was writing about no longer existed -- it was either bombed or burned, or had been Americanized. I did make the sacrifice of going to San Fran and Oahu for research. Learned that newspaper archives are invaluable if you want to get the tastes and tangs of a city and an era.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
fpw Wrote:...I did make the sacrifice of going to San Fran and Oahu for research...

I have always been impressed with how you suffer for your art. Oh, the sacrifices you've made for all of us. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

The Mad American   07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
fpw Wrote:Nope. Wanted to but the Japan I was writing about no longer existed -- it was either bombed or burned, or had been Americanized. I did make the sacrifice of going to San Fran and Oahu for research. Learned that newspaper archives are invaluable if you want to get the tastes and tangs of a city and an era.

Wow. That makes the book all the more impressive to me then. One thing I thought you represented very well was the westernization of Tokyo. What is funny is that when I was there (1999-2001) there was still a big, I guess clash would be the word, of the older Japanese who want traditional Japanese to survive and the younger Japanese who are becoming more and more westernized due to the influence of all the western pop culture. I lived in northern Japan, Sendai was the closest big city so I was more in a rural area that hadn't been influenced as much as Tokyo or any of the other big cities, so you could see the difference easier I guess.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Pages (2):    1 2