The Mad American   07-06-2005, 12:47 PM
As I was watching the previews for the upcoming movies before seeing Batman Begins last night, the trailer for "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie came on.

I thought, why in the hell can movies like this, that anyone with half a brain can gurantee will make no money of significance get made, and will actually more then likely lose money (Charlies Angels, blah blah...hear there is a Love Boat movie in the works....Soul Plane....could list hundreds of them if I was so inclined)
and the Repairman Jack movie be having such a hard time getting to the big screen?

Really kind of ticked me off last night. Thank goodness the Batman movie brought me out of that. But still......WTF?!?!?!?!?!

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

jimbow8   07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
The Mad American Wrote:As I was watching the previews for the upcoming movies before seeing Batman Begins last night, the trailer for "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie came on.

I thought, why in the hell can movies like this, that anyone with half a brain can gurantee will make no money of significance get made, and will actually more then likely lose money (Charlies Angels, blah blah...hear there is a Love Boat movie in the works....Soul Plane....could list hundreds of them if I was so inclined)
and the Repairman Jack movie be having such a hard time getting to the big screen?

Really kind of ticked me off last night. Thank goodness the Batman movie brought me out of that. But still......WTF?!?!?!?!?!
Call me crazy, but I actually want to see the Dukes of Hazzard movie. I know it will be kinda stupid, but I liked the show. I just hope they keep the Waylon Jennings version of the song for the theme. And it HAS to be better than Charlie's Angels.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Jay #1   07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
If they're trying to focus on all ages to come see it, it's going to be a flop. The old tv show, while occasionally Daisy would dress up in something skimpy... it was still something that children could watch. From what I'm hearing... alot of parents will be refusing to allow their children to go see it, or to rent it. And if they do buy it, it'll be somewhere where the children won't get to it.
Dave   07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
The Mad American Wrote:As I was watching the previews for the upcoming movies before seeing Batman Begins last night, the trailer for "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie came on.

Both Charlie's Angels movies grossed more than $100M at the US Box Office each, so add International BO and subsequent DVD/Video sales, and you have a nice little earner going on.

Addams Family $100M+ at US BO.
Starskey and Hutch $88 at US BO.

Even the Brady Bunch movie did $44M at the US BO. After all other revenues it probably came in the black by a nice margin.

The closest film I think we have to compare RJ to of late is The Punisher, RJ isn't as dark, but I can see similarities in marketing (previous property, one man against the odds, action genre). And the Punisher could even claim to be a remake (which should increase BO by Hollywood standards).

The Punisher $33M at US BO.

As long as Joe Public spend the money, the suits are going to keep sticking with these tv remakes and ignoring the possibly great films out there.

Source http://www.boxofficeguru.com/

Dave
The Mad American   07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Dave Wrote:Both Charlie's Angels movies grossed more than $100M at the US Box Office each, so add International BO and subsequent DVD/Video sales, and you have a nice little earner going on.

Addams Family $100M+ at US BO.
Starskey and Hutch $88 at US BO.

Even the Brady Bunch movie did $44M at the US BO. After all other revenues it probably came in the black by a nice margin.

The closest film I think we have to compare RJ to of late is The Punisher, RJ isn't as dark, but I can see similarities in marketing (previous property, one man against the odds, action genre). And the Punisher could even claim to be a remake (which should increase BO by Hollywood standards).

The Punisher $33M at US BO.

As long as Joe Public spend the money, the suits are going to keep sticking with these tv remakes and ignoring the possibly great films out there.

Source http://www.boxofficeguru.com/

Dave

Agh. you got me on the numbers of those movies but I still say they are crap. And your point is well taken, as long as people keep going to crap thats what we will keep getting.

I would hope that when and if the RJ movie is ever made it will be handled a lot better then either of the Punisher movies.

~ Red Buttons

The Mad American   07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Jay #1 Wrote:If they're trying to focus on all ages to come see it, it's going to be a flop. The old tv show, while occasionally Daisy would dress up in something skimpy... it was still something that children could watch. From what I'm hearing... alot of parents will be refusing to allow their children to go see it, or to rent it. And if they do buy it, it'll be somewhere where the children won't get to it.

No surprise that the boners in Hollywood would take something that was more family oriented and change it to stupid highschool boy humor.

The TV show was very popular in its day, I believe it was the number one show on TV a couple years in a row, but c'mon that doesn't warrant a movie.

Guess this is just my soap box issue for now. I know there is a market for these kind of movies but it seems like they are becoming the majority rather then the minority. Take a movie I really enjoyed, Cindarella Man. Very well made, well acted movie, but the studios have to resort to a money back gurantee to get people to go see it.

Dave was/is right. Until the people stop going to these kind of shyte movies thats what we are going to get. And we all know there are tons of great books, ideas and what not that deserve to be made into movies rather then the mindless drivel that is being made now.

~ Red Buttons

Anders Monsen   07-06-2005, 03:34 PM
2005 is the year of the remake. Some of these provide refreshing takes on the original (Bewitched, perhaps). Others are pure kitsch money vehicles (Dukes of Hazzard hoping for a Jessica Simpson draw; Herbie: Fully Loaded hoping for the Lindsey Lohan crowd). Perhaps one or two actually will succeed as riffs on existing themes (War of the Worlds, marred by Spielberg's overly heavy hand and Cruise's permanent intensity, failed in this regard). Saving the best for last, I think King Kong will be worth the wait, the sole diamond among this dull duplicated dross.
Jay #1   07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
The last Herbie movie I saw was Herbie goes bananas. And as far as I'm concerned that will always be the Last Herbie movie.

Anders Monsen Wrote:Herbie: Fully Loaded hoping for the Lindsey Lohan crowd). Perhaps one or two actually will succeed as riffs on existing themes (War of the Worlds, marred by Spielberg's overly heavy hand and Cruise's permanent intensity, failed in this regard). Saving the best for last, I think King Kong will be worth the wait, the sole diamond among this dull duplicated dross.
Medusa   07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Truthfully, I am starting to get sick of all the remakes of old shows. I didn't like the Brady Bunch movie and have no interest in Herbie or Dukes. Never saw either of the Charlies Angels either. Updated remakes of great movies - maybe. I've heard such good things about War of the Worlds I have to give that a shot.

But I WANT WANT WANT the RJ Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CANADIANRJFAN   07-06-2005, 08:10 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Call me crazy, but I actually want to see the Dukes of Hazzard movie.

The truth is curiousity will likely get the better of me too.