Tony H   07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Against my better judgement, akin to the time I tried to stop a moving fan with my penis, and just as painful, I took in a viewing of the horrendous Bewitched starring America's new favorite sweetheart Will Ferrell.

Never a huge fan of the Elizabeth Montgomery driven original series I don't know why I expected this to be any better. Not liking the source material may seem blasphemous but I never found it funny.

I thought this movie would be in the same vein as one of my all time favorite mvies, The Brady Bunch. I was under the impression that it would make fun of the original series and therefore I was all for it. Well not only did this comedy not make fun of the original series, it was so self referential, it knew it was a big screen remake of a old sitcom and milked it for all it was worth. Making passing references to the original, setting the movie in the real world where the actors in the film were actors making a small screen remake.

Nicole Kidman was the polar opposite of TV's Samantha. Where Montgomery was cool and collected, Kidman was a babbling nervous mess of a witch who just wants to be normal.

Ferrell plays the same character he has played in every movie and tv show since the inception of his career. His lines were horrendous and delivered with a sheer smugness like the actor thought this film would amount to something monumental.

The on-screen chemistry between the two leads was non-existent no matter how much the actors professed in every interview that they became the best of friends in real life. The interviews were just as awkward as Tom Cruise's on-air Oprah confession of his love for the test-tube sweetheart Katie Holmes.

The movies only saving grace, (and no, surprisingly it is not Michael Cain or Shirley McLaine) is Kristen Chenoweth. She ate up every scene she was in remeniscent of the character Paulette from the Legally Blonde films.

Skip Bewitched, the only magical thing this insipid comedy manages to do is make $8.00 disappear into thin air.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Maggers   07-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Great review, Tony. Thanks for the head's up. I'll be sure to miss this one - I don't want to make $11 disappear.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

fpw   07-05-2005, 05:10 PM
AsMoral Wrote:The movies only saving grace, (and no, surprisingly it is not Michael Cain or Shirley McLaine) is Kristen Chenoweth. She ate up every scene she was in remeniscent of the character Paulette from the Legally Blonde films.

I've seen her on B'way a few times. She a little dynamo (she's tiny) but steals every scene.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Tony H   07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
fpw Wrote:I've seen her on B'way a few times. She a little dynamo (she's tiny) but steals every scene.

Her best Broadway performace has to be that of Glinda the good witch in Wicked! That role seems to have been written for her.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Kenji   07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
AsMoral Wrote:Skip Bewitched, the only magical thing this insipid comedy manages to do is make $8.00 disappear into thin air.

Oh.......I am Nicole Kidman fan, so I was looking forward to it. Sad