Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
XiaoYu   06-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Quote:Actually, he does. If you have read any of the first books in the series, you'll notice that when he works out on the roof of his apt. building, he often practices Tae Kwon Do until he's a sweaty mess. Now, granted, TKD isn't Gong Fu--it isn't even Chinese, it's Korean--but it is an eastern martial art and Jack does use it (although not exclusively since we have plenty of examples of old-fashioned NYC ass-kickings, too).

I'm quoting here:
"The original meaning of the term Karate was "T'ang Hand", Te meaning hand and Kara an ideogram to describe the Chinese T'ang." (Tang was an ancient Chinese dynasty (618-907), sorta the Chinese equivalent of the Renaissance.) http://www.natkd.com/

Same thing with Korean Tang Soo Do, it literally means: Way of the Tang Hand. Yet if you want to push it, Chinese martial arts have definite Buddhist ties, which come from India, which in turn could have been connected to Greek sports...it goes on and on. Which is why life is interesting.

In any case, I agree with this statement on the same site: "For one style, country or organization to argue with another over what the true roots of the martial arts are is as silly as two fleas fighting over who owns the dog that they both live on." Though I don't think martial arts should be compared to fleas... Wink

And my original point was that hey, since it's filming in China, they might take advantage of that fact. Smile Nothing more, nothing less. I look forward to any ass-kicking by Jack, though it's always nice for him to have an equally worthy, honorable albeit crazy opponent, which I thought Kusum was and hope he'll remain.

Ain't Google great? http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm
This post was last modified: 06-10-2004, 04:15 PM by XiaoYu.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Mailedbypostman   06-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Somehow i must have missed the training. I read that he does have some sort of extensive conditioning but id didnt know it wa tae kwon do.

Contradictions Detected
It does not matter if our answers disagree, as over time the game will change its answers to reflect common knowledge. If you feel that the game is in error, the only way to fix it is to play again.
Mike Hanson   06-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Mailedbypostman Wrote:Somehow i must have missed the training. I read that he does have some sort of extensive conditioning but id didnt know it wa tae kwon do.

...let us not forget the much more impressive skills displayed by black belt Susan Lee in..."The Tao of Susan-san"!!!!!
nonsun blob a   06-13-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but..
in another thread F Paul said that they were changing it to chinese mythology because of the temples, I believe.
Sam   06-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Japanese meaning, ケツ叩きの悪é*”国王(Ketsutataki no Akumakokuou)....? I don't know what this mean! What is this quote? :confused:
It's just a joke, Kenji. I once heard that Kindergarten Cop was translated to Devil King of Children in Japan, as if butt kicking good guys are called devils over there. Oh and whup ass is slang for kicking somebody's butt really good. No offense intended. Just a joke. Big Grin
Biggles   06-14-2004, 02:44 AM
Mike Hanson Wrote:...let us not forget the much more impressive skills displayed by black belt Susan Lee in..."The Tao of Susan-san"!!!!!

Doh!!! I just had a brainstorm! Susan can play Gia! She's been right before our eyes all along.

Oh, BTW, Susan: I'll be happy to be your agent. I get 10% of everything you earn, you know. "In a week, maybe two, I'll make you a star." Wink

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   06-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Sam Wrote:It's just a joke, Kenji. I once heard that Kindergarten Cop was translated to Devil King of Children in Japan, as if butt kicking good guys are called devils over there. Oh and whup ass is slang for kicking somebody's butt really good. No offense intended. Just a joke. Big Grin

Joke?......he,he,he, Big Grin Well, I didn't know that!!

Actually, Sam....sometimes, we(Japanese) don't understand American joke. Perhaps, you don't know Japanese joke. Joke or humor is different with culture or words.

But in this case, your joke is confused me. You mentioned "Kindergarten Cop was translated to Devil King of Children in Japan".......Hmmm, I've never heard it before.
But I know this slang, "whup ass is slang for kicking somebody's butt". This Japanese meaning,"Ketsu o Kettobasu".

BTW, I like "Sam" jokes. Wink
Kenji   06-14-2004, 11:53 AM
By the way, what is movie title? "Repairman Jack"? or "The Tomb"?....

Perhaps, Japanese title is Shimatsuya Jack
This post was last modified: 06-15-2004, 11:21 AM by Kenji.
Sam   06-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Quote:But in this case, your joke is confused me. You mentioned "Kindergarten Cop was translated to Devil King of Children in Japan".......Hmmm, I've never heard it before.
BTW, I like "Sam" jokes. Wink
[/QUOTE]

The Devil King of Children translation was something a friend told me years ago. An American joke making fun of the Japanese translations of our language + Kung Fu movie titles = "Devil King" and other such goofy names. Best I can describe it. Oh well, the joke was on me I guess. Big Grin
Tim Hatch   06-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Aarniokoski nails 'Repairman' pic

Helmer Douglas Aarniokoski, who frequently collaborates with Robert Rodriguez, is meeting up with "Repairman Jack" for Beacon Pictures, sources said. The project is described as "Indiana Jones" meets "The Mummy," centering on a man for hire who tries to track down an elusive evil figure and save the world. Bill Borden and Barry Rosebush are producing along with Beacon Pictures, where it's being shepherded by company topper Armyan Bernstein and development and production topper Suzann Ellis. Originally written by Trevor Sands, the project was most recently handled by scribe Chris Morgan. Executives at Beacon could not be reached for comment. Aarniokoski is repped by ICM, Nine Yards Entertainment's Matt Luber and attorney Marc Golden at the law firm Gendler & Kelly. He also is attached to direct "The Courier" for Avi Lerner's Millennium Films and producers Willi Baer and Carmen Miller at their Eternity Pictures. For Rodriguez, Aarniokoski has directed second unit on "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and was first assistant director on "Spy Kids" and "From Dusk Till Dawn." (Chris Gardner)
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4