Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   06-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Found a Japanese disc of this 1962 Toho film (Yosei Gorasu). I remember seeing stills of it in Famous Monsters magazine back then but could never find it in theaters or on TV.

It's sort of a Japanese When Worlds Collide, but instead of another planet coming our way, it's a "star" that's 3/4 the size of Earth but 6,000 times its mass. (I know, I know.)

[SIZE=3]In WWC the solution to the impending collision was an arc-type rocketship to find a new world. In Gorath, they decide to move Earth out of the way by installing a huge array of thrusters in Antarctica.

A mostly silly 90-min movie that runs 60 min too long. But it has a couple of cool scenes. One is the view of Earth from space with Antarctica all aglow from the thrusters. The other is Gorath's gravitational field stripping Saturn's rings as it passes.

This release contains the missing 6 minutes of the giant walrus (awakened by the melting of the Antarctic ice) that were cut from the version released in the US because they thought it was too silly. Probably a good decision. It did nothing for the story (what little there is) and looked like a hand puppet.

TohoScope's 2.35:1 aspect ratio demands a large screen.

The subtitles are all English except during the UN scenes when people are speaking English -- then they switch to Japanese. I've never seen this before, but it works.

Why am I wasting so much time writing about this?
[/SIZE]
This post was last modified: 06-24-2005, 08:14 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
fpw Wrote:Why am I wasting so much time writing about this?
Because you care.......? :p

It does sound kinda interesting.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
fpw Wrote:Found a Japanese disc of this 1962 Toho film (Yosei Gorasu). I remember seeing stills of it in Famous Monsters magazine back then but could never find it in theaters or on TV.

It's sort of a Japanese When Worlds Collide, but instead of another planet coming our way, it's a "star" that's 3/4 the size of Earth but 6,000 times its mass. (I know, I know.)

[SIZE=3]In WWC the solution to the impending collision was an arc-type rocketship to find a new world. In Gorath, they decide to move Earth out of the way by installing a huge array of thrusters in Antarctica.

A mostly silly 90-min movie that runs 60 min too long. But it has a couple of cool scenes. One is the view of Earth from space with Antarctica all aglow from the thrusters. The other is Gorath's gravitational field stripping Saturn's rings as it passes.

This release contains the missing 6 minutes of the giant walrus (awakened by the melting of the Antarctic ice) that were cut from the version released in the US because they thought it was too silly. Probably a good decision. It did nothing for the story (what little there is) and looked like a hand puppet.

TohoScope's 2.35:1 aspect ratio demands a large screen.

The subtitles are all English except during the UN scenes when people are speaking English -- then they switch to Japanese. I've never seen this before, but it works.

Why am I wasting so much time writing about this?
[/SIZE]

Oh!!! You saw Yosei Gorath? I remember it! That's classic and too silly movie. In '60s, Japanese film makers made a lot of silly sci-fi movies. This "Gorgath" was one of silly movies.

Giant walrus scene was deleted? Why...? That was a most funny scene. Big Grin Yes, that was silly. But it was funny, isn't it...?
Lisa   06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE=3]In Gorath, they decide to move Earth out of the way by installing a huge array of thrusters in Antarctica.

ROTFLOL! That's great. You pick all the good movies, Effy.

Lisa
Kenji   06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Paul, if you like silly and cheap classical Japanese movies(well, most Japanese movies are cheap), I recommend this. Big Grin

Japanese title was "Uchu Daisenso". English title was "Battle in Outer Space".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053388/
fpw   06-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Kenji Wrote:Paul, if you like silly and cheap classical Japanese movies(well, most Japanese movies are cheap), I recommend this. Big Grin

Japanese title was "Uchu Daisenso". English title was "Battle in Outer Space".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053388/

Been there, done that -- long ago. Love Japanese sci-fi. Just bought the Japanese disc of THE MYSTERIANS.

Hy-YA!

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   06-26-2005, 04:34 AM
fpw Wrote:
Been there, done that -- long ago. Love Japanese sci-fi. Just bought the Japanese disc of THE MYSTERIANS.

Hy-YA!

Aaaah! Gosh! Is it "Chikyu Boeigun"? It was long-forgotten movie until today. Big Grin
When I was child I saw it on TV.
fpw   06-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Kenji Wrote:Aaaah! Gosh! Is it "Chikyu Boeigun"?

That's it.

FPW
FAQ
Keith the Elder   06-26-2005, 12:20 PM
fpw Wrote:

Hy-YA!

Kenji and Paul:

You guys are makin' me cry 96 Tears

k the e

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Maggers   06-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:Kenji and Paul:

You guys are makin' me cry 96 Tears

k the e

?

Just had to add that. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2