Pages (9):    1 5 6 7 8 9
willowz   01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I am going to pick up all three on saturday i cant wait, better than chrisstmas morning.

willowz
peachynat   01-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I read The Keep #3.... just like the others, it was great!! Can't wait to read #4 Smile
Tindalos   03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm a huge fan, Mr. Wilson. I had the opportunity to meet you at the HorrorFind convention in Arizona in 2004. You were gracious enough the sign my copy of ALL THE RAGE.

Anyway, I just thought I would finally post something with regards to THE KEEP's mini-series run. I am posting the link to a small review I did on the website I write, The Creature Corner...

[Image: thekeep.jpg]F. Paul Wilson's THE KEEP; IDW Publishing (Issues 1-5)

"Something is murdering my men."

First there was an excellent novel called THE KEEP. Then there was a pretty good loose film adaptation by Michael Mann called THE KEEP. Wilson went on the complete The Adversary Cycle with THE TOMB (or RAKOSHI as it was originally titled), THE TOUCH, REBORN, and REPRISAL and NIGHTWORLD. Then Repairman Jack really took off. But that is a tale for another column.

Now, F. Paul Wilson and artist Matthew Smith are bringing you a full-length graphic adaptation of THE KEEP. It is important for those of you who have never read the novel but have seen Mann's film to understand that, while the general plot of both versions is similar, the ultimate tale of the novel is a much richer story. Mann's film was built as a stand alone with a past that is not explained much and absolutely no future. Wilson absolutely loathes the film adaptation. He is hoping to lure those who haven't read The Cycle to do so. So far it is working.

For those not familiar with the tale... The time is 1941. A regiment of Nazi soldiers have taken possession of a keep in the mountains of Romania. A strange keep that seems to have been built, not to keep anyone out, but to keep something in. The interior of the structure is imbedded with hundreds of metal crosses. The soldiers think that the crosses may be silver and mark a hidden treasure. In there eagerness to find riches they unleash Molasar, a seemingly undead creature locked away for untold centuries.

Meanwhile, as Molasar is released, a mysterious man named Glenn is awakened and called to the keep. He has been waiting for this event for as long as Molasar has been contained.

THE KEEP comic book adaptation is very well done. I have to remark on the quality of the paper used for this publication. Whoever decided to go with this lovely heavy bond stuff should be commended! It is a pleasure to read.

With Wilson adapting his own novel you can't go wrong. He knows what needs to be done to get the story told properly. Matthew Smith, you may know him from his HELLBOY work, is a superb choice to bring this story out. The book is presented in black and white (with some blue for accent). It allows the period of the tale to come out. It's not quite as detailed as I would have liked. But the overall effect is quite good.

If nothing else this 5 part series should net some new readers into Wilson’s Adversary Cycle. That and his Repairman Jack novels are well worth the read.
fpw   03-29-2006, 01:52 PM
[SIZE="3"]Glad you're enjoying it, Tindalos. I believe issue 5 is supposed to hit the racks April 5.

BTW -- how's the hound?[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
dejo   03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
I just noticed that Amazon has a listing for, presumably, the graphic novel version of The Keep with a release date of May 25, 2006. Yay!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933239...e&n=283155
KRW   03-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Tindalos Wrote:I'm a huge fan, Mr. Wilson. I had the opportunity to meet you at the HorrorFind convention in Arizona in 2004. You were gracious enough the sign my copy of ALL THE RAGE.

I believe I remeber you! I believe only three of us had books signed that day.One guy had a hardback of "The Keep" he had signed, and I believe you were the other, I just don't remember the book that was signed. Remeber the short story Wilson read that day? I loved it and I'm waiting to see it in print. So you know, I was the guy that had a tattered version of "The Tomb" signed that day. Oh, I'm getting all gushy just remembering!Big Grin

KRW
Tindalos   04-02-2006, 03:46 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Glad you're enjoying it, Tindalos. I believe issue 5 is supposed to hit the racks April 5.

BTW -- how's the hound?[/SIZE]

It isn't easy to store all of these books in a room without right angles just to keep the mutt out. But thanks for asking!

And I will be doing a follow up review when the set is complete.

Now, excuse me. I need to go count my pennies. I have to make sure I have enough to cover REBORN, REPRISAL and NIGHTWORLD.
Pages (9):    1 5 6 7 8 9