Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6   
DrJonLJ   05-30-2005, 11:17 AM
I was simply wondering what you guys thought of Reborn. I just finished reading it. I don't want to be offensive to anyone here on the board, but I have to say it was the first FPW book I didn't really enjoy reading. It may have simply been the subject matter, but I just didn't like it that much. I understand that it was imperative for the continuing story - especially the end. Is the rest of the Adversary Cycle a more enjoyable read? I have read The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, and The Fifth Harmonic and enjoyed them all (although The Fifth Harmonic wasn't really my style). I hope this doesn't step on any toes, but I was just curious....
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
DrJonLJ Wrote:I was simply wondering what you guys thought of Reborn. I just finished reading it. I don't want to be offensive to anyone here on the board, but I have to say it was the first FPW book I didn't really enjoy reading. It may have simply been the subject matter, but I just didn't like it that much. I understand that it was imperative for the continuing story - especially the end. Is the rest of the Adversary Cycle a more enjoyable read? I have read The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, and The Fifth Harmonic and enjoyed them all (although The Fifth Harmonic wasn't really my style). I hope this doesn't step on any toes, but I was just curious....

Well, DrJonLJ, if you don't offend any of the gang, you're not really stepping up to the plate! Wink But as far as REBORN goes, I think maybe Paul was establishing the depths of Rasalom's evil. But you ain't seen nothin' yet! Wait 'til you read NIGHTWORLD!
jimbow8   05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
DrJonLJ Wrote:I was simply wondering what you guys thought of Reborn. I just finished reading it. I don't want to be offensive to anyone here on the board, but I have to say it was the first FPW book I didn't really enjoy reading. It may have simply been the subject matter, but I just didn't like it that much. I understand that it was imperative for the continuing story - especially the end. Is the rest of the Adversary Cycle a more enjoyable read? I have read The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, and The Fifth Harmonic and enjoyed them all (although The Fifth Harmonic wasn't really my style). I hope this doesn't step on any toes, but I was just curious....
Reborn is really the catalyst that sets the finale in motion, IMO. I did enjoy it because it is pretty character drive, which is my style. The characters play major parts in Reprisal and Nightworld, where the proverbial shit hits the fan.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   05-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I didn't like it all...I loved it. It is my favorite book from the AC and the best pure horror novel I've read. What's not to like...the great characters, the wild plot, the non-stop action, the despicable villians, the groovy setting? I must ask what you think is a great horror story if you didn't care for Reborn?
This post was last modified: 05-30-2005, 12:32 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   05-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Dr. JonLJ:
I agree with what's been written in response to your post. "Reborn" sets things up, lets us know what evil Rasalom can do in this world, and tells us more about the key figures in the story. Do stick around for "Reprisal" and "Nightworld." They will knock your socks off.

As far as offending anyone with your opinion, you can't. So long as you speak your piece respectfully and don't attack a person for thinking differently from you, you are absolutely entitled to disagree with what anyone or everyone says.

Welcome, glad to have you aboard!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Marc   05-30-2005, 01:48 PM
DrJonLJ Wrote:I was simply wondering what you guys thought of Reborn. I just finished reading it. I don't want to be offensive to anyone here on the board, but I have to say it was the first FPW book I didn't really enjoy reading.

You're entitled to your opinion. It seems that when the fans jump down others throats for expressing dislike for one of Paul's books it's because the person doesn't really state WHY s/he didn't like it. Instead their comments come across as personal attacks on Paul.

I, for one, don't care all that much for The Touch. It just doesn't captivate me like some of Paul's other books, because it just doesn't hold up to some of his other works for me.

Express your opinion without personally attacking and you'll be fine.

(I like Reborn by the way.) Smile
Paul R   05-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, I have to admit that the first time I read it, I really didn't like it that much. This could have been for a number of reasons. Previous to reading Reborn, the only other FPW books I had read were The Keep and The Tomb (I live in Sunny England, where, before the internet FPW simply didn't exist). So, bearing in mind Reborn was a continuation of The Keep story, and bearing in mind how much I had loved both The Keep and The Tomb, I leapt into Reborn, expecting great things. I was disappointed. I think I may have been expecting more 'Keep type' scenarios or a similar sort of plot, I can't really remember. So I put it on the shelf and forgot about it.
Then, years later, when I was buying FPW books left, right and centre from my trusty computer, and couldn't get enough of FPW, I read it again... And absolutely loved it.
I don't know what changed. Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind when I read it the first time, maybe I was expecting too much from it or maybe I just developed as a reader for my second reading. Whatever it was, I'm pleased it happened.
That said though, Reprisal is still a far, far better book! Big Grin
Biggles   05-30-2005, 08:14 PM

I think it's important to remember that the last three books are really a trilogy. Just as Lord of the Rings would drag if read all at once (hell, it drags in parts anyway), so too would the last three books of the AC if they were merged into a single tome. On the other hand, you have to be willing to stay the course through the upcoming volumes, because no one book tells the whole story.

Think of Reborn as the soup and salad, Reprisal as the Entree, and Nightworld as the Dessert. I'm getting hungry, better eat.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
DrJonLJ   05-30-2005, 09:57 PM
I suppose my feeling may be because I don't usually read "horror" books. I didn't find The Keep disturbing. Perhaps it was the fact that I read most of Reborn in the midst of a very stressful business trip with screaming children on planes and late flights, etc. etc... I guess the change in setting and time may have thrown me off in regards to the whole Adversary Cycle. It goes from The Keep to The Tomb and then to The Touch (which I didn't understand where it fit in the cycle until the final pages of Reborn), and then on to Reborn. I guess I'm feeling a lack of continuity or something. I will stick with it and finish the cycle, but I was simply wondering about what others thought.
jimbow8   05-30-2005, 10:05 PM
DrJonLJ Wrote:I suppose my feeling may be because I don't usually read "horror" books. I didn't find The Keep disturbing. Perhaps it was the fact that I read most of Reborn in the midst of a very stressful business trip with screaming children on planes and late flights, etc. etc... I guess the change in setting and time may have thrown me off in regards to the whole Adversary Cycle. It goes from The Keep to The Tomb and then to The Touch (which I didn't understand where it fit in the cycle until the final pages of Reborn), and then on to Reborn. I guess I'm feeling a lack of continuity or something. I will stick with it and finish the cycle, but I was simply wondering about what others thought.
The Tomb, The Touch, and Reborn introduce characters integral to the story in the final two books.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6