thisisatest   05-16-2005, 09:33 PM
But spoilers nonetheless....

Steve D
Saw "Unleashed" last night with the galfriend (it was the only movie we could agree on actually). There was a great movie in there somewhere. Some better editing may have helped. But overall, we liked it. The drama (considering the movie has Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freedman) was exceptional, but those damn fight scenes kept interrupting a finely paced story. Jet Li even had a chance to shine as an actor, but then those damn fight scenes kept intruding. A climactic fight scene--now, that I could see, but superfluous fight scenes, and long ones at that, were really unnecessary as the audience was eating up the nonfight Jet Li scenes. I recommend it for the acting and story, but this is definitely not a DVD keeper.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
XiaoYu   05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
I liked this movie quite a bit, I thought it beat all the others I've seen lately, including Kung Fu [Hustle], because it actually has a solid plot. Personally, I really liked the action scenes. I thought they were very realistic and because of that more exciting and enjoyed the fights all the more. (All those weapons! Cool ) To be honest, I don't think Jet Li's been in many movies where his main role isn't to kick butt, so I went into the movie expecting him to do more fighting than talking.

Just a comment: Jet Li's gotten so much older! I don't know how many people here have seen movies of his, but I still have images of him as a (very hot) young man in his early works like "Shaolin Temple".

Small Spoiler...
Is it really possible to make someone behave like Danny? In the movie, when he was with his mother, he seemed pretty old already, old enough to know what was going on, old enough to try to defend her and mourn her. Once a kid has reached this age, can you still "train" him like they claim to have trained Danny? He can talk, think, move and fight, all of which requires brains. It would make more sense if he wasn't portrayed as very intelligent, but Danny's years of willing bondage seems like a bit of a stretch. Or maybe I just wonder too much. :p

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
KRW   05-18-2005, 04:03 PM
thisisatest Wrote:But spoilers nonetheless....

Steve D
Saw "Unleashed" last night with the galfriend (it was the only movie we could agree on actually). There was a great movie in there somewhere. Some better editing may have helped. But overall, we liked it. The drama (considering the movie has Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freedman) was exceptional, but those damn fight scenes kept interrupting a finely paced story. Jet Li even had a chance to shine as an actor, but then those damn fight scenes kept intruding. A climactic fight scene--now, that I could see, but superfluous fight scenes, and long ones at that, were really unnecessary as the audience was eating up the nonfight Jet Li scenes. I recommend it for the acting and story, but this is definitely not a DVD keeper.

Shouldn't you have labled this thread teeny weeny spoilers? Wink
It really looks funny on the main board because it doesn't show the whole title, "Unleashed....tiny weeny".

KRW