Pages (3):    1 2 3
Maggers   01-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Sam Wrote:....BTW, Branagh kicks ass.

Also, have you seen Mel Gibson as Hamlet? You would be surprised.
Branagh is fantastic, both as actor and director. I haven't seen everything that he's directed, but what I've seen I've really liked:
Dead Again
Much Ado About Nothing
Peter's Friends
Henry V
Hamlet

I loved "Much Ado About Nothing," where Branagh was even able to get a Shakespearean performance out of Keanu Reeves!

And you're right about Gibson as Hamlet, too...a fine movie with a great and sometimes unexpected cast. Branagh can make Shakespeare accessible to the masses like no one else I know, and that's a good thing.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   01-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Maggers Wrote:I loved "Much Ado About Nothing," where Branagh was even able to get a Shakespearean performance out of Keanu Reeves

Keanu? Shakespeare? I...uh...shit, I'm speechless. I haven't seen that film.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Maggers   01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Sam Wrote:Keanu? Shakespeare? I...uh...shit, I'm speechless. I haven't seen that film.

LOL! I think you'd enjoy it, Sam, if you enjoy Branagh's other renditions of Shakespeare. It's not a war film, no battles, just witty repartee. Branagh's then-wife, Emma Thompson, is in it, too, and she's great, as always.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Annice Burdeos   01-18-2006, 02:36 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I saw this on Friday. This movie is SO MUCH better than Gladiator (recent movies least deserving of Best Picture IMO). I was expecting this movie to either demonize or glorify one side or another (Christian or Moslem), but it actually doesn't. Both sides have their good and bad. This movie really makes me want to learn more about the Crusades (any recommendations??).

BTW, no, I did not recognize Norton, either, not even the voice, which I normally would pick up on.

My mom and I saw this in the theater opening weekend for her love of the Crusades.

Not even Jeremy Irons could save this muddle

Orlando Bloom is not leading man material at all.
I knew my mom was disappointed when after the film was over and we were on the way home, it occurred to both of us, that we had not discussed
the film. That said it all...........
Pages (3):    1 2 3