Weatherford   05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I posted this on fpw's NetFlix help thread, but thought it deserved more attention than that! Wink

I just bought Les Choristes (The Chorus) (2004) a subtitled in English, French film. Absolutely wonderful. OK, it's a tear jerker, but not overly so (IMHO). Much more real than the US versions of "music teacher makes bad kids good", and the conductor (actor) in the beginning of the film definitely did his homework and knows his stuff. OK, the main character can't conduct, but, he's a composer (and a prefect), so we'll forgive him.

Beautifully shot and an absolutely GORGEOUS score. Of course, i love choral music! I will admit, I hate boys choirs on principle, but....

Highly recommended!

(Oh, it won Best Picture from Hearland Film Fest, and Audience Choice Awards from Chicago Film Fest and Austin Film Fest. Two AA nominations - best foreign films and best score.)
jimbow8   05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Weatherford Wrote:Much more real than the US versions of "music teacher makes bad kids good"
Like Mr Holland's Opus? A lot of people like that movie, but it does nothing for me......except the girl from Yes, Dear. Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Weatherford   05-16-2005, 03:03 PM
This does make Mr. Holland seem trite. Plus the musicianship is considerably better! Wink