Scott Miller   05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
The distinction has to go to Tarnation. I watched it last night and am still reeling from its raw, poignant look at a family torn apart by mental illness. At the center of the film is Johnny who had the misfortune of being born to a woman who had neither the means nor mentality to raise a child. At the age of 9 or 10, Johnny began filming his life and it isn't pretty.

Tarnation was apparently made for the cost of a movie-making computer program(less than $300), but it shows that sometimes less is more. This film is most certainly not for everybody, but if you've ever asked yourself how can somebody become so screwed up?, then this is worth a look.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:The distinction has to go to Tarnation. I watched it last night and am still reeling from its raw, poignant look at a family torn apart by mental illness. At the center of the film is Johnny who had the misfortune of being born to a woman who had neither the means nor mentality to raise a child. At the age of 9 or 10, Johnny began filming his life and it isn't pretty.

Tarnation was apparently made for the cost of a movie-making computer program(less than $300), but it shows that sometimes less is more. This film is most certainly not for everybody, but if you've ever asked yourself how can somebody become so screwed up?, then this is worth a look.

Thanks for the heads up, Scott. I'd heard about this film. I'll add it to my Netflix queue.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

mike36799   05-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:The distinction has to go to Tarnation. I watched it last night and am still reeling from its raw, poignant look at a family torn apart by mental illness. At the center of the film is Johnny who had the misfortune of being born to a woman who had neither the means nor mentality to raise a child. At the age of 9 or 10, Johnny began filming his life and it isn't pretty.

Sounds like my kind of movie. It's always nice to know there is someone more screwed up than yourself. I will have to check this out also.