Scott Miller   05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
I know this movie has come up in a couple of different places and I couldn't find either one of 'em; hence the new thread.

I liked it, but feel it is being horribly mis-marketed as a comedy. It is definitely a drama with a few humorous moments sprinkled in. I actually found it to be depressing and it was full of moments that illustrate why I hate being lumped in as 'one of the guys.'

The reasons why I think it is worth seeing are great writing and superb acting. Everyone delivers excellent performances in one of the smarter scripts in awhile.

Maggers, just what was the funny scene that had you in stitches? The ostrich scene is the only one I can recall that would induce that kind of laughter.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I

Maggers, just what was the funny scene that had you in stitches? The ostrich scene is the only one I can recall that would induce that kind of laughter.

SPOILER ALERT FOR SIDEWAYS*************************

I thought the movie was very funny and touching.

I'm laughing even as I write this. It's the scene where Miles has to sneak into the fat girl's house to get his friend's wallet. On his hands and knees, Miles has to make his way into the bedroom of the big girl, where she and her even bigger biker boyfriend are going at it to beat the band. Miles is caught, the biker jumps up after him, buck naked except for a skanky hat on his head. The biker boy is big, and his blubber as well as assorted dangling bits are flapping like crazy as he runs after Miles. He gets to the car as Miles hysterically slams the door shut and the biker and his bits are squished up against the window, next to Miles' face. The car takes off and so does the biker, screaming down the street with all things dangling and flapping.

My friends and I could not stop laughing.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
You're right, that was funny. Still don't think it is a comedy.

Maggers Wrote:SPOILER ALERT FOR SIDEWAYS*************************

I thought the movie was very funny and touching.

I'm laughing even as I write this. It's the scene where Miles has to sneak into the fat girl's house to get his friend's wallet. On his hands and knees, Miles has to make his way into the bedroom of the big girl, where she and her even bigger biker boyfriend are going at it to beat the band. Miles is caught, the biker jumps up after him, buck naked except for a skanky hat on his head. The biker boy is big, and his blubber as well as assorted dangling bits are flapping like crazy as he runs after Miles. He gets to the car as Miles hysterically slams the door shut and the biker and his bits are squished up against the window, next to Miles' face. The car takes off and so does the biker, screaming down the street with all things dangling and flapping.

My friends and I could not stop laughing.
This post was last modified: 05-09-2005, 03:09 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   05-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:You're right, that was funny. Still don't think it is a comedy.

Not a pure comedy, played solely for laughs. It's a thoughtful film, so yes, you do contemplate your life compared to their's. But there are laughs.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I know this movie has come up in a couple of different places and I couldn't find either one of 'em; hence the new thread.

I liked it, but feel it is being horribly mis-marketed as a comedy. It is definitely a drama with a few humorous moments sprinkled in. I actually found it to be depressing and it was full of moments that illustrate why I hate being lumped in as 'one of the guys.'

The reasons why I think it is worth seeing are great writing and superb acting. Everyone delivers excellent performances in one of the smarter scripts in awhile.

I'll agree with you that the acting, directing, writing, everything, was superb. I disagree that it was not a comedy, but I think that's a matter of perspective. I laughed my ass off. It was a thoughtful comedy though, with a lot of poignant moments. It's my very most favorite picture of last year.

Oh, and NOT just because I HATE MERLOT!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Marc   05-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Biggles Wrote:I'll agree with you that the acting, directing, writing, everything, was superb. I disagree that it was not a comedy, but I think that's a matter of perspective. I laughed my ass off.

I'd consider it a dramedy. More drama than comedy, but still funny. Just finished watching it tonight. Very good movie!
Biggles   05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I'd consider it a dramedy. More drama than comedy, but still funny. Just finished watching it tonight. Very good movie!

Or maybe a "Comma"? Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Though rather a little too late, last night I saw it on DVD. I liked it. Well, actually I like all of Alexander Payne's movies. Has anybody seen "About Schmidt"? I thought "Sideways" is similar to "About Schmidt". Dramatic, but little comedic, and touching. This is one of best Jack Nicholson's movies.

Okay, I must go back to talk about "Sideways". Surely, this is not pure comedy. But I also laughed at Maggers's mentioned scene. Big Grin And, yes, this is really wonderful drama. I'm not middle age yet, so maybe if I see it ten years later, I'll find another point of view. I'll feel it as if ripened wine.

Oh, and, Virgina Madsen was wonderful.
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I know this movie has come up in a couple of different places and I couldn't find either one of 'em; hence the new thread.

I thought Sideways was TERRIFIC!! Was it just me, or did anyone else keep getting reminded of Swingers. I think they are very comparable.