ShadowLord   05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
My daughter forced me to take her to Sin City this weekend.I didn't expect much of the film which is perhaps why I enjoyed it.
The film genre was much like a "dime store paperback" being turned into a movie..and it worked.
Lots of action -- fun to watch -- no real theme or moral statement to be made.
Any one else out there watch the film?

ShadowLord
(Did I hear it was based on comic books?)

(ack ok I see there is alredy a thread for sin city on page 2 -- can someone with admin powers move this to the appropriate thread.. Thanks)
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-02-2005, 11:47 AM
ShadowLord Wrote:My daughter forced me to take her to Sin City this weekend.I didn't expect much of the film which is perhaps why I enjoyed it.
The film genre was much like a "dime store paperback" being turned into a movie..and it worked.
Lots of action -- fun to watch -- no real theme or moral statement to be made.
Any one else out there watch the film?

ShadowLord
(Did I hear it was based on comic books?)

(ack ok I see there is alredy a thread for sin city on page 2 -- can someone with admin powers move this to the appropriate thread.. Thanks)

"Comic books? Comic books?" Sir, SIN CITY was based upon a =graphic novel!" :p
Alan   05-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:"Comic books? Comic books?" Sir, SIN CITY was based upon a =graphic novel!" :p

Exactly, the correct term is graphic novel. Also, I prefer Trekker to Trekkie.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Alan Wrote:Exactly, the correct term is graphic novel. Also, I prefer Trekker to Trekkie.

Exactly! The phenomenon is pretty much over now, but in the 70s conventions I attended, Trekkies were sad clowns who wore Spock ears. Trekkers, on the other hand, were sad clowns who wore Spock ears but =talked= about the episodes. You might be a lifeform who knows his way around the ficton of the Federation, Alan. What show had Dr. McCoy yelling into his communicator, "Damn you, Spock!--I'm not beaming up without Jim!"
Keith the Elder   05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Exactly! The phenomenon is pretty much over now, but in the 70s conventions I attended, Trekkies were sad clowns who wore Spock ears. Trekkers, on the other hand, were sad clowns who wore Spock ears but =talked= about the episodes. You might be a lifeform who knows his way around the ficton of the Federation, Alan. What show had Dr. McCoy yelling into his communicator, "Damn you, Spock!--I'm not beaming up without Jim!"

I'm gonna take a stab at it: Amok Time

k the e

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Alan   05-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Exactly! The phenomenon is pretty much over now, but in the 70s conventions I attended, Trekkies were sad clowns who wore Spock ears. Trekkers, on the other hand, were sad clowns who wore Spock ears but =talked= about the episodes. You might be a lifeform who knows his way around the ficton of the Federation, Alan. What show had Dr. McCoy yelling into his communicator, "Damn you, Spock!--I'm not beaming up without Jim!"

When it comes to the original series I'm pretty weak. In this case I can't even hazard a guess. Now if you wan't to know The Rules Of Acquisition I can help you out. Hey, what DS9 episode did this one come from, "All I ask is a tall ship, and a load of contraband to fill her with..." ?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:I'm gonna take a stab at it: Amok Time

k the e

That's an =excellent= guess, Keith, but the truth lies deep in my evil heart: the episode doesn't exist. I made the quote up. But doesn't it =sound= like it came from an original show? Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Alan Wrote:When it comes to the original series I'm pretty weak. In this case I can't even hazard a guess. Now if you wan't to know The Rules Of Acquisition I can help you out. Hey, what DS9 episode did this one come from, "All I ask is a tall ship, and a load of contraband to fill her with..." ?

Alan, I must admit I didn't really follow the post-TNG shows. After TOS, the cartoon series, Captain Picard and his men and women of might, maybe 50-75 original novels...I was Trekked-out... Ashamed to admit it, but I gotta be honest. (Was that contraband quote fer-real? Maybe I was missing out!)