thisisatest   04-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Steve D
I seem to remember a AH thread, but I couldn't find it, so I started another.

All this movie has going for it is a few jolts. It's a poorman's version of The Shining. Wait for the DVD. Seems like a good TV movie for some boring evening.

BTW, wasn't there a pig supposed to be involved in this movie, somewhere?

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
jimbow8   04-20-2005, 05:08 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
I seem to remember a AH thread, but I couldn't find it, so I started another.

All this movie has going for it is a few jolts. It's a poorman's version of The Shining. Wait for the DVD. Seems like a good TV movie for some boring evening.

BTW, wasn't there a pig supposed to be involved in this movie, somewhere?
Yeah, Jodie, the pig. Did they change the pig into the obligatory "little girl in the closet"?

I think the Shining is a poor man's version of the book anyway, so I probably will REALLY dislike this.

How does it compare to the original AH ?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
thisisatest   04-21-2005, 04:12 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Yeah, Jodie, the pig. Did they change the pig into the obligatory "little girl in the closet"?

I think the Shining is a poor man's version of the book anyway, so I probably will REALLY dislike this.

How does it compare to the original AH ?

Steve D
Sorry, haven't seen the original...yet. I am looking for it so that I can see where the pig fits in. BTW, the little girl in the closet was a virtual rip-off of the little boy from The Grudge.

The TV version of The Shining had the potential to out-do the movie version but fell far short of the book. At least the movie version as a standalone is entertaining. Damn those great books. Always getting in the way of great movies.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
jimbow8   04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
Sorry, haven't seen the original...yet. I am looking for it so that I can see where the pig fits in. BTW, the little girl in the closet was a virtual rip-off of the little boy from The Grudge.
Not a flattering comparison. Check out the book for AH, possibly, too. I think it explains the pig a bit better.

thisisatest Wrote:The TV version of The Shining had the potential to out-do the movie version but fell far short of the book. At least the movie version as a standalone is entertaining. Damn those great books. Always getting in the way of great movies.
I liked the TV version, except for the pacing. Jack was sympathetic for the first 3/4 of the movie and then instantly became evil; there was no transition. I am NOT a fan of the Kubrick movie version - except the axe scene at the end. Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
mike36799   04-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Not the best movie for me :mad: I was getting bored with the whole movie. Too often a "scary" movie is made, and SOMEONE realizes after the whole darn thing is made that this "scary" movie isn't scary. What to do? What to do? Well, add a lot of loud thumping music, and then it's scary.

Not in my book, I'm tired of the whole cheap thrills. Seems like a good scary movie, lets say, Exorcist. Movies like this may have had a few of these cheap thrills, but overall it the overall concept would scare the crap out of you.... This movie just didn't doit for me .....
Brazen   05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:How does it compare to the original AH ?

I hadn't seen the 1979 AH since I was 12... so at the time that movie was only 2-3 years old, and I remember we were soooo scared at the slumber parties, watching it on our brand new VHS players with the hard-wired remote! hehehe

So when I saw this new movie in the theater a couple of weeks ago, I barely remembered the story. Other people I'd talked to were terribly disturbed by this movie, claimed to have trouble sleeping, etc... so I thought I was in for a GREAT treat!

But as it was... I thought it was just a regular, modern-style horror flick. It was ok. I never scream at movies and rarely even jump, and I didn't do either for this one.

BUT to answer your question, the day after I saw the new movie, I requested the '79 version from Netflix and got it shortly thereafter. Boy, what a difference 26 years makes!!

The original shows nothing scary! It let you do all the imagining. I had forgotten the flies they used to indicate something sinister and evil. Everytime you saw flies buzzing around, you knew trouble was near. And the priest was much more involved in the older movie - afterall, he was about the only one who could tell something was amiss in the house!

The story lines are exactly the same - the new one didn't vary much. It just showed every detail and did all the work for us. The sets were very similar, altho in the new movie you could just TELL those weren't REAL '70's clothes. Big Grin
jimbow8   05-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Brazen Wrote:I hadn't seen the 1979 AH since I was 12... so at the time that movie was only 2-3 years old, and I remember we were soooo scared at the slumber parties, watching it on our brand new VHS players with the hard-wired remote! hehehe

So when I saw this new movie in the theater a couple of weeks ago, I barely remembered the story. Other people I'd talked to were terribly disturbed by this movie, claimed to have trouble sleeping, etc... so I thought I was in for a GREAT treat!

But as it was... I thought it was just a regular, modern-style horror flick. It was ok. I never scream at movies and rarely even jump, and I didn't do either for this one.

BUT to answer your question, the day after I saw the new movie, I requested the '79 version from Netflix and got it shortly thereafter. Boy, what a difference 26 years makes!!

The original shows nothing scary! It let you do all the imagining. I had forgotten the flies they used to indicate something sinister and evil. Everytime you saw flies buzzing around, you knew trouble was near. And the priest was much more involved in the older movie - afterall, he was about the only one who could tell something was amiss in the house!

The story lines are exactly the same - the new one didn't vary much. It just showed every detail and did all the work for us. The sets were very similar, altho in the new movie you could just TELL those weren't REAL '70's clothes. Big Grin
Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the original isn't all that scary anymore either?

BTW, Welcome to the board.

Jim

Brazen   05-20-2005, 02:20 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the original isn't all that scary anymore either?

BTW, Welcome to the board.

Jim

Thanks! Well, I wasn't scared at all. I was even trying to put myself back into my 12-year-old mindset and just couldn't get there. I let my 11-year-old daughter watch it with me, and she fell asleep. Rolleyes It was night time, but still!

I should get Poltergeist, too.