Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
fpw   05-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I just got back from Van Helsing. I don’t see what all the bad reviews are about. Sure I have issues with the tone, the comic relief, the screeching of the wives, the bad accents, the Bondization of Van Helsing, even the change of first name.

But you know what? I had a good time.

Sometimes you can overthink these things. I mean, it's a monster movie, folks.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I totally agree. I loved it. Great summer action movie. I even know now why they changed his name.

This is kind of the movie I had been hoping that Underworld was going to be.

(Loved the reference to Masada. Does anyone else remember that movie? That was awesome.)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   05-08-2004, 10:51 PM
fpw Wrote:I just got back from Van Helsing. I don’t see what all the bad reviews are about. Sure I have issues with the tone, the comic relief, the screeching of the wives, the bad accents, the Bondization of Van Helsing, even the change of first name.

This should be expected. We are, after all, talking about the director of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.
Biggles   05-08-2004, 11:43 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:(Loved the reference to Masada. Does anyone else remember that movie? That was awesome.)

Ah, Masada! One of my favorite Italian dishes is Chicken Masada. No, wait, that's Marsala. Never mind. But seriously, although I'm familiar with the historical Masada, I've never seen the movie. Is it historically accurate?

I love "last stands" in general. Beau Geste, They Died with Their Boots On, Khartoum, Zulu, Siege of Firebase Gloria, The Four Feathers, The Alamo (haven't seen the new one yet). What others are there?

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Lisa   05-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Marc B. Wrote:This should be expected. We are, after all, talking about the director of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

Stephen Sommers also directed an intentionally hilarious movie called DEEP RISING. It's highly entertaining if you enjoy comedic type horror B movies.

Lisa
Ken Valentine   05-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Biggles Wrote:Ah, Masada! One of my favorite Italian dishes is Chicken Masada. No, wait, that's Marsala. Never mind. But seriously, although I'm familiar with the historical Masada, I've never seen the movie. Is it historically accurate?

I love "last stands" in general. Beau Geste, They Died with Their Boots On, Khartoum, Zulu, Siege of Firebase Gloria, The Four Feathers, The Alamo (haven't seen the new one yet). What others are there?

The movie Masada was a film adaptation of Ernest K. Gann's historical novel called THE ANTAGONISTS. It's been so long since I saw the movie and read the book that I don't remember much about it. It was quite a departure for Gann. Virtually all of his other novels were about flying. His most famous novel was THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY. That was made into a movie as well. It starred John Wayne IIRC.

Which version of THE FOUR FEATHERS do you like best? 1939? 1978? Or 2000?

Zulu is also one of my favorites. In fact I have a couple of the .577-450 Martini-Henry cartridges from that era in my collection. (Weirdest cartridges you ever saw.)

Ken V.
jimbow8   05-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Biggles Wrote:Ah, Masada! One of my favorite Italian dishes is Chicken Masada. No, wait, that's Marsala. Never mind. But seriously, although I'm familiar with the historical Masada, I've never seen the movie. Is it historically accurate?
I am not sure of the actual story, but the movie was great. It is the best "siege" movie that I can ever remember seeing.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
thisisatest   05-09-2004, 08:34 PM

Steve D
Zulu and Zulu Dawn should be seen together over white wine and cheese with any member of Monty Python. Oops, off the subject there.

One of the best last stand movies is Assault On Precinct 13 by John Carpenter (check out the early prototype for Escape From New York's Snake Pliskin (Plizken?). "Got a cigarette?" as opposed to "Snake, I heard you was dead."
Jerry   05-10-2004, 02:51 AM
"Gallipoli", great film (before Mel Gibson got famous and went nuts)

Too bad no one has done a film about Dien Bien Phu yet.

I love "last stands" in general. Beau Geste, They Died with Their Boots On, Khartoum, Zulu, Siege of Firebase Gloria, The Four Feathers, The Alamo (haven't seen the new one yet). What others are there?[/QUOTE]
Jerry   05-10-2004, 02:53 AM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
One of the best last stand movies is Assault On Precinct 13 by John Carpenter (check out the early prototype for Escape From New York's Snake Pliskin (Plizken?). "Got a cigarette?" as opposed to "Snake, I heard you was dead."

John Wayne got hit with the "Heard you was dead" line years before in "Big Jake" to which he always replied, "not hardly".
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4