Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm an F. Paul Wilson-oholic.

Jim, you've admitted you've got a problem. That was very brave. But if you don't stop trying to sneak a look at ALL THE RAGE, we can't help you here.
Ken Valentine   04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Maggers Wrote:We have to search and scrounge and go through hell and high water to get his books, especially the older, out of print ones, ...

A few years ago, a friend told me that I could find all kinds of out-of-print books on the web. That's one of the major reasons I bought a computer in the first place -- to find, among others, Healer, Reprisal, Wheels Within Wheels and Deep As The Marrow.

Ken V.
Peter   04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
For me my wife was lent The Keep by a friend of hers, oh, must have been 25 years or so ago (was it really that long?). She gave it to me, I read it and loved it for it's unusual nature. Just not like the usual horror story. Then, about 15 years ago I saw The Tomb in a shop and remembered the authors name. Bought it, read it, loved it. I had more or less resigned myself to the fact that my favourite author seemed to be remarkably un-prolific but then in 2002 I came to America for the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis and, in Chicago airport, found a bookshop with LOTS of FPW. I bought All The Rage (quite out of sequence of course). Again, read it, loved it and (as others have said) with the help of the magic internet basically bought everything else he has written up to, and including, the present. I still fail to understand why in (UK anyway) bookshops there are shelf loads of Stephen King (who can be excellent) and Dean Koontz (who is usually excellent) but virtually no F.Paul Wilson (who is always excellent).

If there is anyone here from Indianapolis (my sole taste of USA) you are great people, and The Slippery Noodle Inn is a great place, thank you all!

Did I use too many brackets this time?
Peter   04-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Also (stop yawning at the back there!) a lot of replies in this thread have mentioned getting books from fathers. My two youngest daughters have done this, with the added advantage that their father has the full set (though Nightworld reads kind of funny till the rewrite comes out).
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Peter Wrote:For me my wife was lent The Keep by a friend of hers, oh, must have been 25 years or so ago (was it really that long?). She gave it to me, I read it and loved it for it's unusual nature. Just not like the usual horror story. Then, about 15 years ago I saw The Tomb in a shop and remembered the authors name. Bought it, read it, loved it. I had more or less resigned myself to the fact that my favourite author seemed to be remarkably un-prolific but then in 2002 I came to America for the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis and, in Chicago airport, found a bookshop with LOTS of FPW. I bought All The Rage (quite out of sequence of course). Again, read it, loved it and (as others have said) with the help of the magic internet basically bought everything else he has written up to, and including, the present. I still fail to understand why in (UK anyway) bookshops there are shelf loads of Stephen King (who can be excellent) and Dean Koontz (who is usually excellent) but virtually no F.Paul Wilson (who is always excellent).

If there is anyone here from Indianapolis (my sole taste of USA) you are great people, and The Slippery Noodle Inn is a great place, thank you all!

Did I use too many brackets this time?

Don't worry about the brackets, Peter. My brother-in-law owns the factory. The more brackets you use, the happier my little sister is. So bracket hearty!
Maggers   04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Peter Wrote:For me my wife was lent The Keep by a friend of hers, oh, must have been 25 years or so ago (was it really that long?)

I got my first fix back then, too. I agree, it's hard to believe we've loved FPW's stuff for so long and so faithfully.

Peter Wrote:... F.Paul Wilson (who is always excellent).

I was just telling someone at work about this very phenomenon, as she declared that she'd never heard of F. Paul Wilson. How could he be so good for so long and she doesn't know him, she said, and how could any writer never write a clunker?

I am continually perplexed by the lack of marketing thrust behind FPW's works. He said at the WHC (World Horror Convention in NYC) this weekend that it has something to do with the fact that he writes in all genres, except for romance. His publishers don't know quite what to do with him. He's too darn talented. And he's never written a clunker! Rolleyes

But can you imagine a bodice-ripping romance penned by F. Paul Wilson? Now wouldn't that be a hoot! And who would be on the cover? I say Effy, himself! We already know the model for the cover of "An Enemy of the State" was FPW, and it's Lisa's favorite cover. He could make like Fabio and model again! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   04-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Maggers Wrote:I got my first fix back then, too. I agree, it's hard to believe we've loved FPW's stuff for so long and so faithfully.

I was just telling someone at work about this very phenomenon, as she declared that she'd never heard of F. Paul Wilson. How could he be so good for so long and she doesn't know him, she said, and how could any writer never write a clunker?

I am continually perplexed by the lack of marketing thrust behind FPW's works. He said at the WHC (World Horror Convention in NYC) this weekend that it has something to do with the fact that he writes in all genres, except for romance. His publishers don't know quite what to do with him. He's too darn talented. And he's never written a clunker! Rolleyes

But can you imagine a bodice-ripping romance penned by F. Paul Wilson? Now wouldn't that be a hoot! And who would be on the cover? I say Effy, himself! We already know the model for the cover of "An Enemy of the State" was FPW, and it's Lisa's favorite cover. He could make like Fabio and model again! Big Grin

I think I would draw the line at an FPW romance novel! Then again, maybe not. Would it go like this? "Her jowls swayed with the momentum of my burning hunk of love. Sweat soaked the sheets and stained the bed in a fashion that looked like a butterfly with one wing and half a head. The renters in the next apartment pounded on the walls for quite while their favorite wrestler was pounded to a pulp!" On and on and on! Big Grin (maybe Landsdale good do it justice?) Big Grin

KRW
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Maggers Wrote:I got my first fix back then, too. I agree, it's hard to believe we've loved FPW's stuff for so long and so faithfully.

True that Paul's never written a clunker. Even Robert Heinlein had a book--THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST--that was, well, perhaps not quite as great as some of his others.
Keith the Elder   04-12-2005, 09:43 AM
KRW Wrote:I think I would draw the line at an FPW romance novel! Then again, maybe not. Would it go like this? "Her jowls swayed with the momentum of my burning hunk of love. Sweat soaked the sheets and stained the bed in a fashion that looked like a butterfly with one wing and half a head. The renters in the next apartment pounded on the walls for quite while their favorite wrestler was pounded to a pulp!" On and on and on! Big Grin (maybe Landsdale good do it justice?) Big Grin

KRW

It would have to include something about a maw.

He or she took something voraciously with his/her maw. I don't know what that something could be though, maybe the strawberries they had with bubbly. Yeah that could be it, He gently held the strawberry twixt his teeth as she voraciously took it in her maw, the sweet explosion of the fruit mixing with the ectasy of her wildly animated tongue probing and.....

I'm gonna log off for a few minutes now.

k the e
Maggers   04-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:It would have to include something about a maw.

He or she took something voraciously with his/her maw. I don't know what that something could be though, maybe the strawberries they had with bubbly. Yeah that could be it, He gently held the strawberry twixt his teeth as she voraciously took it in her maw, the sweet explosion of the fruit mixing with the ectasy of her wildly animated tongue probing and.....

I'm gonna log off for a few minutes now.

k the e

ROFL! Maw! I want maw! I want more maw! I want gaping maw!

I mentioned "maw" and "gaping maw" to FPW at the GU 4. He laughed and said that, yes, it's been pointed out to him that he uses more maw in his books than most. LOL.

Keith, can you come back now? Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7