Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 6 7   
All Thumbs   04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
My wife read SIMS and recommended it to me. I looked up FPW on Amazon and saw The Keep and remembered watching the movie one night way back when. I was totally stoned when I watched it and I thought it was the coolest movie ever. Anyway, I got the book and read it and then found out about the whole Adversary/Repairman Jack/Otherness saga and I have been a drooling FPW sycophant ever since. Go figure!!!
Tony H   04-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ahh, important correction, thanks.

But does Tony think the portrait of Peter LaNague on the cover of "An Enemy of the State" is cute?

I had the cover blown up to poster size. It is hanging on the ceiling above my bed.:o
Maggers   04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I had the cover blown up to poster size. It is hanging on the ceiling above my bed.:o

ROFL! It all becomes so clear now! I understand why you came up with the idea for a GU! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   04-07-2005, 03:34 AM
I discovered FPW before one of the hardest years I've known. I was visiting my dad in Arizona, and he had no T.V. to speak of! What was I to do? No t.v. in a city that I had no friends? I read my dads books!
He was into westerns, so my first book was "Mustang Man" by Louis Lamour. I started the book out of boredom, but I finished it before morning!
Suddenly, I didn't need t.v.! I read every Sackett book My dad had at the time. (Only five) I was begging for more, so the weekend rolled around and and we went to our nearst used book seller. (Even cooler, because they sold guns in the back part of the store!) We bought westerns week after week, and there are some great ones out there!
One day, I waltzed into the horrer section. (Westerns are great, but you have to have meat with potatoes) I found three books that day that caught my attention. "The Keep", The Tomb", and "Watchers"!
The "Keep" was pretty good, "Watchers" was AWSOME, and then I read "The Tomb"
WOW!
Summer ended, but I have read that book faithfully every summer! I know Jack very well! As well as I know Logan Sackett! This past year I had FPW sign that fist book (It's held together by a rubber band) and it is retired on top of my book shelves! I have a new one I read, or loan out. But the signed one has been with me through thick and thin. One of my most prized possesions!

KRW
Baelzar   04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
A bar opened up right next door to my travel agency last year. Great place, perhaps a little too convenient....

Anyway. I always go in there at night and read, because it's one of the last places on earth you can smoke indoors. So they know I'm a bookworm.

One of the cooks recommended the RJ series to me, I picked up The Tomb, yadda yadda yadda, now I'm halfway through the series.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
~P.J. O'Rourke
Susan   04-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Lisa Wrote:I found AEOTS and The Keep among my parents' library when I was 14 (1986/87). I read them because I thought Peter LaNague looked cute on the cover. Yup, I sure did.

I've always been a deep thinker.

Lisa

LOL! Yeah, me too.

I read Implant in the late 90's because I was trying to desensitize myself to surgery. I was about to have ALL my wisdom teeth removed at once and I was terrified. So I thought I might as well scare myself as much as possible with a really good medical thriller and then the surgery won't go so bad.

Well, the medical thriller was excellent and I was hooked on FPW's writing. The surgery was horrid. OMG I don't even want to think about it.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
IAmSpartachris   04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Wow,

I was expecting a handfull of replies to this post. Certainly not this. It's been great reading about each of your experiences in finding FPW's books, and learning how each of you became a fan. I see a lot of similarites between all of us as to the way we all sort of stumbled upon one book and became instantly hooked on FPW's writing style. And in the way we all nearly had the same experiences in searching out more books to feed our appetites, and the trials we have gone through in order to aquire them in some cases.
Great stuff. And it's great to be among other dedicated fans such as yourselves.

Peace

The problem with doing nothing, is not knowing when you're finished.
JazzHands   04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
How did I become a fan? Hmmm... I guess it all began with the classic story "girl meets guy, guy moves across the country to Florida, girl thinks, 'yeah, it ain't that easy to get away from me', moves to Florida too"

Moving in with Ron(Lokheed), having our books, CDs and DVDs meld into one collection with both of us enthusiastically recommending our favorites to each other... FPW had been on my radar a little while when this crazy thing called GU4 happened.

I met these wonderful, warm, intelligent and insanely funny people, and the Man himself. I am sorry to say up until that point I hadn't read but a couple of pages of the Repairman Jack short story in The Barrens. I felt so unworthy! The Man himself, his wife and the GU4ers made me excited to get into the books.

Since that weekend I have been on an FPW tear: The Keep, Reborn, The Tomb, Legacies, Conspiracies, All The Rage: all read. I am just starting Hosts this weekend. Please don't make me say my favorite, I love them all so much.
Maggers   04-09-2005, 10:15 PM
JazzHands Wrote:How did I become a fan? Hmmm... I guess it all began with the classic story "girl meets guy, guy moves across the country to Florida, girl thinks, 'yeah, it ain't that easy to get away from me', moves to Florida too"

Moving in with Ron(Lokheed), having our books, CDs and DVDs meld into one collection with both of us enthusiastically recommending our favorites to each other... FPW had been on my radar a little while when this crazy thing called GU4 happened.

I met these wonderful, warm, intelligent and insanely funny people, and the Man himself. I am sorry to say up until that point I hadn't read but a couple of pages of the Repairman Jack short story in The Barrens. I felt so unworthy! The Man himself, his wife and the GU4ers made me excited to get into the books.

Since that weekend I have been on an FPW tear: The Keep, Reborn, The Tomb, Legacies, Conspiracies, All The Rage: all read. I am just starting Hosts this weekend. Please don't make me say my favorite, I love them all so much.

Kris,
It's great to see you on the board and to know you are enjoying FPW as much as Ron and the rest of us. I spent a few hours with Paul this week at the World Horror Convention here in NYC. It was cool; he's such a great guy, so easy and so smart.

You and Ron helped to make GU 4 a lot of fun for me, for all of us. I am looking forward to seeing you both again. It would be wonderful if we could all get together in London.

Keeping reading! FPW books are an awesome thrill.

Maggers

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lokheed   04-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, if you want to see us sooner than GU-5 we will be in NYC the last week of July... Cool
Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 6 7