Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7   
Lisa   04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
I found AEOTS and The Keep among my parents' library when I was 14 (1986/87). I read them because I thought Peter LaNague looked cute on the cover. Yup, I sure did.

I've always been a deep thinker.

Lisa
Maggers   04-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Lisa Wrote:I found AEOTS and The Keep among my parents' library when I was 14 (1986/87). I read them because I thought Peter LaNague looked cute on the cover. Yup, I sure did.

I've always been a deep thinker.

Lisa

Hmm....food for thought, Lisa.

A. We've already determined on another thread that the Peter LaNague portrait on the cover of "An Enemy of the State" bears an uncanny resemblance to the one, the only F. Paul Wilson.

B. We know you are Co-Queen of the Repairman Jack Mesage Board, and, as such you created the extraordinary annual events that have come to be known as The GU (Grand Unification for those who haven't read "Conspiracies" yet)

C. At the GU, attendees get to have dinner and hang out with The Man.

So, if A = B and B = C, then we come to the undeniable conclusion that Lisa thinks Paul is cute and that's why we have the GU's! Big Grin

Maggers (*ducking and running* - - to borrow a phrase from Ken V.)

(And now I've probably blown my chance to play anymore games of Literati. :eek: )

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Paul R   04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
I can't remember what came first, The Keep or The Tomb, but I remember that one followed immediately after the other. Which ever one came first was a gift from my brother for a birthday... all those years ago. 1986 or '87 I think. Anyway, I Loved (that's right, with a capital 'L') those books and wanted more, more, more. But therein lied the rub. Living in Sunny England meant that I was greeted with blank stares and shrugged shoulders every time I asked for a book by FPW, so I had to make do with The Keep and The Tomb over and over again (no bad thing). From time to time, other books popped up and I quickly parted with my Hard-Earned for them, knowing that it would be money well spent. But even though I had a few books, I knew there were more out there... if only I could get them.
And then, on the eighth day, God invented the internet. And very soon afterwards came a parcel from the US with all the books that I had thus far been unable to find.
Since then (about three years ago) I've bought every book that The Man has written.
So, if anyone ever doubts the usefulness of the World Wide Web, doubt no more. For us Sunny England dwellers, it's a Godsend!
Lisa   04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Maggers Wrote:So, if A = B and B = C, then we come to the undeniable conclusion that Lisa thinks Paul is cute and that's why we have the GU's! Big Grin

Except it was Tony who came up with the idea for the first GU... so maybe Effy is gay!

Lisa
Marc   04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I was going on a family trip to New Jersey and finished the one book I brought along within the first three hours of the trip (it was going to take us two days as we were driving). With a pit stop in Milwaukee I was trying to pick something out at a Walden Books but couldn't find anything. My dad grabbed Reprisal off the stand sitting next to the register and said, "This is suppose to be good."

I bought it, read it, got a little confused, found out it was book five, then ended up finding the rest of the series at a used book store in Jersey. Of course, then I had to wait an eternity for Nightworld to come out.
Dave   04-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Paul R Wrote:I can't remember what came first, The Keep or The Tomb, but I remember that one followed immediately after the other. Which ever one came first was a gift from my brother for a birthday... all those years ago. 1986 or '87 I think. Anyway, I Loved (that's right, with a capital 'L') those books and wanted more, more, more. But therein lied the rub. Living in Sunny England meant that I was greeted with blank stares and shrugged shoulders every time I asked for a book by FPW, so I had to make do with The Keep and The Tomb over and over again (no bad thing). From time to time, other books popped up and I quickly parted with my Hard-Earned for them, knowing that it would be money well spent. But even though I had a few books, I knew there were more out there... if only I could get them.
And then, on the eighth day, God invented the internet. And very soon afterwards came a parcel from the US with all the books that I had thus far been unable to find.
Since then (about three years ago) I've bought every book that The Man has written.
So, if anyone ever doubts the usefulness of the World Wide Web, doubt no more. For us Sunny England dwellers, it's a Godsend!

Ditto, pretty much. Luckily found all the Adversary Cycle as published (but The Keep about the same time as The Tomb), and the Colin Andrews books, but my head exploded with possibilities when the WWW came into town.

Long live the web and all who sail in her.

Dave
horsecow   04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
by accident...i was browsing amazon.com, reading other reader's suggestions, and i came across "all the rage." bought it, loved it, bought the rest of his books the next week.

i've been hooked since.
Tony H   04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Lisa Wrote:Except it was Tony who came up with the idea for the first GU... so maybe Effy is gay!

Lisa

:eek: oh my goodness! This is not true as Paul didn't drink any pink girraffe drinks at the GU!
Maggers   04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Lisa Wrote:Except it was Tony who came up with the idea for the first GU... so maybe Effy is gay!

Lisa

AsMoral Wrote::eek: oh my goodness! This is not true as Paul didn't drink any pink girraffe drinks at the GU!

Ahh, important correction, thanks.

But does Tony think the portrait of Peter LaNague on the cover of "An Enemy of the State" is cute?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Hajek   04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
It was a brand new copy of "Soft and Others" that stood out as a shining beacon among a shelf of worn and tattered books at a used book store. Normally, I don't read short fiction, but this book called out to me. I went back to the store a few weeks later only to find a vacant store front. Very much like the stereotypical supernatural experience.

After "Soft" it was a remainder copy of "Black Wind" at a K-Mart. And, the rest is history.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7