Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Scott Miller   04-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Kenji Wrote:My favorite baseball movies...

1, Field of Dreams
2, Natural
3, Bull Durham
4, Major League
5, For Love of the Game

I've never seen *61 yet. I like Billy Crystal's movies. So if I have an opportunity, I wish I can see it. Smile

I would add
Eight Men Out and Bang the Drum Slowly to your excellent list.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I'm glad to see that I'm not the only Costner fan out there. I won't defend all of his choices, The Bodyguard and The Postman were particularly bad, but he has more hits than misses. Thirteen Days, Tin Cup, The War, JFK, No Way Out, Silverado, and American Flyers are all movies I thought were better than average. And he is getting excellent reviews in The Upside of Anger playing an ex-major leaguer of all things.

I'll subject myself to all slings and arrows by saying that I actually enjoyed Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, bad accent and all.

"A Perfect World," starring Costner and directed by Clint Eastwood, is on my top 20 list of favs.

Costner's gotten a bum rap. I have to say that I enjoyed "Robin Hood," also. Not the greatest, but enjoyable.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

The Mad American   04-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Maggers Wrote:"A Perfect World," starring Costner and directed by Clint Eastwood, is on my top 20 list of favs.

Costner's gotten a bum rap. I have to say that I enjoyed "Robin Hood," also. Not the greatest, but enjoyable.

I didn't mean to imply I didn't like Costner. In fact I enjoy most stuff he is in, it just seemed like he went through a period where he did a lot of long drawn out, get to the point already movies. I.E. Waterworld, The Postman, Wyatt Earp (or whatever the version of that story he did was called).

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Maggers   04-13-2005, 03:42 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I didn't mean to imply I didn't like Costner. In fact I enjoy most stuff he is in, it just seemed like he went through a period where he did a lot of long drawn out, get to the point already movies. I.E. Waterworld, The Postman, Wyatt Earp (or whatever the version of that story he did was called).

I agree. Costner can be good and he can make poor choices. He has appeared in some of the dullest "action" films on record.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that I wasn't wild about "Dances With Wolves." I enjoyed it when I saw it in the theater long ago (except I didn't care for the beginning), but I've never been able to sit through it since.

But when Costner is good, he's generally very good.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Maggers Wrote:I agree. Costner can be good and he can make poor choices. He has appeared in some of the dullest "action" films on record.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that I wasn't wild about "Dances With Wolves." I enjoyed it when I saw it in the theater long ago (except I didn't care for the beginning), but I've never been able to sit through it since.

But when Costner is good, he's generally very good.
Ditto.......

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   04-13-2005, 05:44 PM
My favorite Costner's movies. Smile

1, Field of Dreams
2, The Untouchables...(Sean Connely was great!)
3, No way out...(Nobody can guess this ending!)
4, Dacnes with wolves
5, Perfect World
6, Bull Durham
7, Open Range(AKA; Wild Range)
8, Wyatt Earp
9, Fandango
10, Scorpion
Baelzar   04-13-2005, 05:54 PM
I kinda like Costner in his "bad boy" roles. He's good at it.

Open Range
A Perfect World and
Revenge

BTW, Waterworld and The Postman were easily his worst (and a lot of other people's worst).

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
~P.J. O'Rourke
Maggers   04-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Baelzar Wrote:I kinda like Costner in his "bad boy" roles. He's good at it.

Open Range
A Perfect World and
Revenge

BTW, Waterworld and The Postman were easily his worst (and a lot of other people's worst).

I agree with you 100%.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:My favorite baseball movie is The Sandlot: It brings back the joy of playing baseball as a kid with friends, not the corrupt big business that is the Major Leagues.

"You play ball like a GIRL!!!" Great movie. Squints' close-up smile at the pool scene was hilarious. Big Grin It brought back LOTS of memories.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Sam   04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mr. Baseball with Tom Selleck. I think Kenji would get a kick out of that one. It was more about Selleck's character than baseball itself but still a baseball movie.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6