Pages (2): 1 2   
jimbow8   11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Everyone's favorites: Dakota Fanning and Robert DeNiro, not to mention Famke Janssen and Elisabeth Shue.

Trailer

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   11-28-2004, 05:44 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Everyone's favorites: Dakota Fanning and Robert DeNiro, not to mention Famke Janssen and Elisabeth Shue.

Trailer

Why? I like Famke Jansen... Big Grin
jimbow8   11-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Kenji Wrote:Why? I like Famke Jansen... Big Grin
By "not to mention" I mean the same as "also." I like Famke Jansen too. Goldeneye, X-Men, ....

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Kenji   11-28-2004, 11:00 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:By "not to mention" I mean the same as "also." I like Famke Jansen too. Goldeneye, X-Men, ....

Oh, I see! :p Thanks.
jimbow8   01-30-2005, 10:44 PM
*** Possible Spoilers***

I saw this movie today. It isn't the most original or even all that scary in my opinion, but it was pretty good nonetheless. DeNiro gives a solid performance, but Dakota Fanning steals the movie. Some of her expressions are terrifying, and you can't help but be moved by her when she is terrified and crying herself.

The movie itself has some twists and turns and misdirection. Some of you see coming, some not. It starts off solidly, but then it gets a little slow. It really gets going in the "third act," and holds your attention til the end. It sputters a little bit at the very end but not enough to detract really, just enough to remind you that movies like this have been done many times before.

thisisatest   01-31-2005, 12:12 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:*** Possible Spoilers***

I saw this movie today. It isn't the most original or even all that scary in my opinion, but it was pretty good nonetheless. DeNiro gives a solid performance, but Dakota Fanning steals the movie. Some of her expressions are terrifying, and you can't help but be moved by her when she is terrified and crying herself.

The movie itself has some twists and turns and misdirection. Some of you see coming, some not. It starts off solidly, but then it gets a little slow. It really gets going in the "third act," and holds your attention til the end. It sputters a little bit at the very end but not enough to detract really, just enough to remind you that movies like this have been done many times before.

Steve D
I love movies. I love posting about them and reading about them. However, I wasn't sure if you liked the movie or not. I am ambivalent about going to see this movie because I heard the ending set up a sequel rather than lead to a real ending, per se. I'll go see it if you liked it.

On a separate note: Many people say that they'll wait for the video. For me, if I wouldn't see it at the theatre, I wouldn't rent it either. I'd just read the movie summary on some website. Anyway, eagerly awaiting a nudge to go or not go to see it. Thanks either way.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
jimbow8   01-31-2005, 12:52 AM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
I love movies. I love posting about them and reading about them. However, I wasn't sure if you liked the movie or not. I am ambivalent about going to see this movie because I heard the ending set up a sequel rather than lead to a real ending, per se. I'll go see it if you liked it.

On a separate note: Many people say that they'll wait for the video. For me, if I wouldn't see it at the theatre, I wouldn't rent it either. I'd just read the movie summary on some website. Anyway, eagerly awaiting a nudge to go or not go to see it. Thanks either way.
ARRGH! That is too much pressure! Big Grin

First of all let me say that I tend to like most movies and horror/thrillers in particular. I generally give a lot of leeway to a movie and try not to nitpick every little detail. That is not to say that on occasion some movies just become ridiculous to a point that I can't go along with it. Or other times my mood is just in conflict with the movie. For instance, I cannot recommend The Forgotten to anyone. That movie just broke the bounds of absurdity to me.

As far as Hide and Seek..... It depends on the type of movie-goer you are. Since you say that you love movies, I would probably recommend it. Unless you mean you love movies to a point that if some presents one that is less than perfect you feel it is a slight to "movies" as a whole. Big Grin It doesn't seem like that is what you mean. As I said, it isn't horribly original; I was reminded of several movies though I can't put my finger on many of them. I guess in that sense, it is successful.

As for the ending..... If this were an action movie, then, yes, I would say that the ending may possibly be setting up a sequel. But a horror movie IMO is not necessarily hindered (and in many cases is actually improved) by having that monkey wrench thrown in at the end to make the audience wonder. A perfect horror movie (again IMO) leaves an opening at the end; it doesn't tie up all the loose ends into a nice happy ending. You are not supposed to leave a horror movie feeling relaxed and calm like everything has worked out fine. That is what love stories are for. Wink (Same holds true for a thriller, which I think would be a better description of this movie.)

Have I just rambled on incoherently?!?!

jimbow8   01-31-2005, 12:54 AM
More succinctly - If you are somewhat interested, go see it. It isn't a GREAT movie, but I doubt you will feel totally cheated by it.

thisisatest   01-31-2005, 05:44 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:ARRGH! That is too much pressure! Big Grin
I cannot recommend The Forgotten to anyone. That movie just broke the bounds of absurdity to me.

Have I just rambled on incoherently?!?!

Steve D
My galfriend and I treat to the movies we want to see. That's why I see so many movies with Ethan Hawke, Matt Damon, etc., whereas she sits through movies like The Incredibles, Saw, and The Forgotten. Most of her movies turn out to be quite good, and she admits that many of my movies turn out to be good for her too. Where we really agree is that The Forgotten just plain sucked. On that note, I will take it as a "yes" to go see "Hide and Seek" (but as a matinee).

And no, you rambled quite coherently. Wink

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
Kenji   04-24-2005, 05:32 AM
I saw this movie today in theater.

Robert DeNiro is always awesome.....until now. Gosh! Dakota Fanning was brilliant than DeNiro! Sometimes I felt terror in her expression.

About story, this is not fresh. It's not bad, but it looked like a Brian DePalma's film. If he made this movie, it'll be better than this. But some of scenes were good and frightened me. I jumped up from seat.
This post was last modified: 04-24-2005, 05:34 AM by Kenji.
Pages (2): 1 2