Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Maggers   01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

How about this line, from Jayne explaining how the lone survivor of the derelict ship got him in "Bushwacked:"

"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him."

Ha! Loved that!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Maggers Wrote:I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

How about this line, from Jayne explaining how the lone survivor of the derelict ship got him in "Bushwacked:"

"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him."

Ha! Loved that!

HI--LARIOUS!

There are s-o-o-o many . . . but I'm not gonna say any more about 'em 'til you get to see 'em first. Big Grin

Ken V.

Also got a kick out of Mal's "Hunh!" when he first saw River in that chamber.
Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Maggers Wrote:I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

That's kind of a neat site. You get to learn how to say, Panda urine, Babboons ass crack, and the explosive diarrhea of an elephant . . . in Chinese. Big Grin

Ken - always learn the dirty words first - V.
Maggers   01-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:http://www.browncoats.com/main.php?paren...46fb171d22

Ken V.

Ken, great website! Thanks! I've bookmarked it.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Glad to hear it! In my view, it starts out great, and gets greater, greaterer, and more greaterer yet.

Some of the lines are s-o-o-o funny . . . and pithy!

From Serenity -- episode one:
Mal: "I don't want you to hurt him . . . just scare him a little."
Jayne: "Pain is scary."

From Bushwhacked -- episode three:
Alliance interrogator: "And you fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war . . . "
Alliance interrogator: "And your husband?"
Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes too."

Mal to interrogator: "May have been the losing side . . . still not convinced it was the wrong one."

I thought Christine Hendricks did a very good bit of acting in her guest roles in the episodes, "Our Mrs. Reynolds," and "Trash" -- which you have yet to see.

For translations of the Chinese used in the series, see:

http://www.browncoats.com/main.php?paren...46fb171d22

Ken V.
Our Mrs Reynolds was probably my favorite episode. Ya know, I just realized that I never got disc 4 and finished watching the series. I'll get on that. It must have escaped me during the holidays.

I think that they mentioned that they were speaking Chinese at some point in the series, which makes sense given the population.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Our Mrs Reynolds was probably my favorite episode. Ya know, I just realized that I never got disc 4 and finished watching the series. I'll get on that. It must have escaped me during the holidays.

I think that they mentioned that they were speaking Chinese at some point in the series, which makes sense given the population.

Population?

The "Alliance" was supposedly between the U.S. and China. They came together in order to dominate the galaxy, or the 'Verse as it's called in the show. So everybody speaks both English and Chinese.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Our Mrs Reynolds was probably my favorite episode. Ya know, I just realized that I never got disc 4 and finished watching the series. I'll get on that. It must have escaped me during the holidays.

Disc four has three episodes; The Message, Heart of Gold, and Objects in Space, followed by deleted scenes, a few interviews, and some more background on the program.

Ken V.
Maggers   01-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Population?

The "Alliance" was supposedly between the U.S. and China. They came together in order to dominate the galaxy, or the 'Verse as it's called in the show. So everybody speaks both English and Chinese.

Ken V.

Without knowing anything about a Chinese connection, I was aware of a very Eurasian look about the cast, and I wondered about it. River looks decidedly Eurasian. Kaylee also has a bit of an Asian look about her, as does Zoe. The mix of Asian look is more predominant among the women. In fact, I don't see anything like it among the men.

As an aside, I think Eurasians are among the most beautiful people on the planet. The late Brandon Lee, for instance, was one of the most handsome actors I've ever laid eyes on. Or to assuage Biggles and to be absolutely correct in my usage, he was one of the most handsome actors on whom I ever laid eyes.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Population?

Ken V.
I didn't know anything about the Anglo-Sino Alliance. Do they mention that in the show or is it part of Whedon's background story? They never really got into what the Alliance was or why it was so bad (at least that I remember), other than they are just the government (sort of like the Empire in Star Wars).

By population I just meant that since China has such a large population, I gathered that they would have some power among the alliance and also be one of the main languages.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
sublime1983   01-09-2005, 05:54 PM
All this talk about the great show Firefly and I missed it. Oh well. Excellent show. I'm excitted about the movie.

The show was great, the only problem was the way the ended it, or better yet, were unable to end it. Makes me kinda sad. I got the set, watched it once, and couldn't watch it again because of the way it ended. It just left me with an empty feeling that kills me. Hopefully the movie will fill that void.

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4