Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Bawp Wrote:Hi there,

I'm currently working on a website that involves listing and detailing as many classic fictional villains I can think of - and one of those on the top of my list has to be Rasalom/Molasar. I read the majority of the adversary cycle (starting with the Keep) around four or five years back...however I never owned any of the books myself and now that I want to write an entry for Rasalom/Molasar I can't really remember all that much detail about him. The two appearances that stick out in my mind are his incarnation in the Keep and his role in Nightworld - but the details I can remember are too foggy to make a decent enough entry about him.

I know he's this ancient evil entity with immense power, but without the books I can't build up a great picture of him. So it would be great if the people on here could detail him a little more - his origins, his role throughout the adversary cycle etc. Additionally it would be great if people could throw up any memorable quotes about/said by him. Also any ideas on his darkest deed (I figured it was him turning Earth into a Night World) and his finest hour(possibly the same)?

I'll be sure to credit people's input - I just want to do this guy justice, and hopefully anyone who reads about him an interest in the adversary series and the RPJ series.

Also, if anyone has any more suggestions on villains who I should list, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks for your time,

~ Bawp

Welcome to the board, Bawp. Sounds like you've got a good project going. I'd suggest Dr. Marc C. "Blackie" DuQuesne from Doc Smith's SKYLARK OF SPACE series. (Though, to be fair, he did redeem himself like a champ in the last book, SKYLARK DUQUESNE.)
Keith the Elder   01-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Two Evil Incarnates here:
Howard DeVore and Stefan Lehman

Ben Shepard is a bastard too, but really just a self-centered arrogant turd, IMO
stacyzinda123   01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Bawp Wrote:I've fallen in love with those Borderlands editions though. So I'm going to try and get a hold of an older edition to read in the meantime and save up my student loan cheques for those nice new shiny editions. Thanks guys really...can't believe I managed to miss the one book in which Molasar is more evil than the rest!
I'm getting the Borderlands books and they're beautiful! They're definetly the most expensive books I own, but I'm happy I'm getting them. The next one is due out in Feb. I think Smile .
Mike   01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
undefined

You have neglected the most dastardly villain of all times: Snidely Whiplash.
Bawp Wrote:Hi there,

I'm currently working on a website that involves listing and detailing as many classic fictional villains I can think of - and one of those on the top of my list has to be Rasalom/Molasar. I read the majority of the adversary cycle (starting with the Keep) around four or five years back...however I never owned any of the books myself and now that I want to write an entry for Rasalom/Molasar I can't really remember all that much detail about him. The two appearances that stick out in my mind are his incarnation in the Keep and his role in Nightworld - but the details I can remember are too foggy to make a decent enough entry about him.

I know he's this ancient evil entity with immense power, but without the books I can't build up a great picture of him. So it would be great if the people on here could detail him a little more - his origins, his role throughout the adversary cycle etc. Additionally it would be great if people could throw up any memorable quotes about/said by him. Also any ideas on his darkest deed (I figured it was him turning Earth into a Night World) and his finest hour(possibly the same)?

I'll be sure to credit people's input - I just want to do this guy justice, and hopefully anyone who reads about him an interest in the adversary series and the RPJ series.

Also, if anyone has any more suggestions on villains who I should list, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks for your time,

~ Bawp
Maggers   01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Mike Wrote:You have neglected the most dastardly villain of all times: Snidely Whiplash.

Good one, Mike, and welcome to the board!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

dastinson   01-20-2005, 07:29 PM
the Oracle Wrote:Villians:

Don't forget that Sauron was Melkor (in the Silmarillion) until Tulkas imprisoned him and forced him into eternal bondage... And, there are MANY songs about Sauron including ones by Rush and Led Zeppelin.

Hope this helped a bit,
Rip

Actually Sauron was Sauron, a Maia like Gandalf (Olorin). He was seduced by Melkor/Morgoth and became one of Morgoth's cheif aides. Most of the ring is foreshadowed by Morgoth's ring (holding one of the Silmarils)- Ref: BOOK OF LOST TALES - MORGOTH'S RING.

After the final defeat of Morgoth, Sauron was supposedly redeemed until later when he took part in the corruption of the Numenor.
dastinson   01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
fpw Wrote:I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but Flagg first appeared in The Stand as the personification of evil. His introduction in Chapter 17 is some of King's best writing ever.

Also there is the intimation that the shopkeeper in Needful Things is also one of Flagg's incarnations.
KRW   01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
dastinson Wrote:Actually Sauron was Sauron, a Maia like Gandalf (Olorin). He was seduced by Melkor/Morgoth and became one of Morgoth's cheif aides. Most of the ring is foreshadowed by Morgoth's ring (holding one of the Silmarils)- Ref: BOOK OF LOST TALES - MORGOTH'S RING.

After the final defeat of Morgoth, Sauron was supposedly redeemed until later when he took part in the corruption of the Numenor.

You have so lost me! Big Grin

I don't know how long you've been here, but welcome to the board!

KRW
Maggers   01-21-2005, 12:49 AM
KRW Wrote:You have so lost me! Big Grin

I don't know how long you've been here, but welcome to the board!

KRW

I laughed out loud when I read your post, Ken, 'cuz I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was reading another language there for a minute.

But otherworldly languages aside, welcome to the board, Dastinson.

Dastinson - any/no relation to Sean Astin?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
dastinson Wrote:Actually Sauron was Sauron, a Maia like Gandalf (Olorin). He was seduced by Melkor/Morgoth and became one of Morgoth's cheif aides. Most of the ring is foreshadowed by Morgoth's ring (holding one of the Silmarils)- Ref: BOOK OF LOST TALES - MORGOTH'S RING.

Hehehe! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Big Grin (see my post on page 2 of this thread)

Welcome to the board, Dastinson.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6