Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
jimbow8   11-10-2004, 10:34 AM
If I am not mistaken (I haven't read the last Dark Tower novel yet), Randall Flagg is the Crimson King. He goes by many names in the Stephen King universe of novels. ( also - IT, Dreamcatcher, Talisman/Black House, Desperation?)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
law dawg   11-10-2004, 10:47 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:If I am not mistaken (I haven't read the last Dark Tower novel yet), Randall Flagg is the Crimson King. He goes by many names in the Stephen King universe of novels. ( also - IT, Dreamcatcher, Talisman/Black House, Desperation?)

Nope, Flagg is NOT the King. It never specifies who the Crimison King is, but Flagg is not him.
the Oracle   11-10-2004, 11:46 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Don't forget what Sara Lom did to little Danny!!!

And Herb for that matter...

* chilling *

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Maggers   11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
the Oracle Wrote:And Herb for that matter...

* chilling *

And Lisl! The relationship between Rafe and Lisl is absolutely chilling!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

the Oracle   11-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Bawp Wrote:Got Dr. Lecter Wink

Hmmm...I only read of Flagg in Wizard and Glass - didn't realise he had been in those others (not read them..ooops) so I had him down as a mere henchman of the Crimson King...

Thanks all the same!

Flagg was also the wizard Marten from the gunslinger series. And, here is a tidbit for you about Flagg... Anthrax wrote a song about him called: "Among the Living" (on the album of the same name)... Flagg even appears on the cover! I believe it is their finest album. Also, there is a song titled: "Skeleton in the Closet" which is about the Stephen King short story, "the Apt Pupil."

* excerpt from Skelton in the Closet *
It's insanity, puppetmaster boy or Nazi
Apt pupil, he hears the screams
Nightmares turn into wet dreams
Hatred lives, boiling inside, dealing death it's bumicide
In too deep, their secret stands but it won't keep
Tell me a story --Will ya, Will ya
A real good story, I won't leave till ya
Spill your guts old man
Leave out any secrets, Hiding in the...

Villians:

Don't forget that Sauron was Melkor (in the Silmarillion) until Tulkas imprisoned him and forced him into eternal bondage... And, there are MANY songs about Sauron including ones by Rush and Led Zeppelin.

How about Mr. Smith or even the entire computer system in the Matrix trilogy.

Lex Luther comes to mind, along with: the Joker, King pin, and other comic book villians.

HAL in 2001.

Satan has been the villian in hundreds of movies and books.

Finally, how about Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot and the Dark Tower series (he is in both the "Wolves of Calla" and "Song of Susannah")... He is the vampire that Father Callahan fails to destroy.

Hope this helped a bit,
Rip

—Amelia Earhart
the Oracle   11-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Kenji Wrote:Randall Flagg, yes, this is correct.

My last Dark Tower series is Wizard and Glass. I don't know when I can read Wolves of Calla.....*sigh* Sad

Read it! Wolves of Calla ROCKS!

—Amelia Earhart
the Oracle   11-10-2004, 12:24 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:If I am not mistaken (I haven't read the last Dark Tower novel yet), Randall Flagg is the Crimson King. He goes by many names in the Stephen King universe of novels. ( also - IT, Dreamcatcher, Talisman/Black House, Desperation?)

Flagg is not CK... Flagg was just an underling of CK. Flagg is Marten, Walter, John Farson, and others... But, not the Crimson King.

BTW- Dark Tower VII is awesome!

-Rip

—Amelia Earhart
the Oracle   11-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah...

Don't forget Senator Palpatine (sp?) from Star Wars... You know, the Dark Lord... And his Sith apprentice Darth Maul! Those guys are pretty nasty too.

-Rip

—Amelia Earhart
jimbow8   11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
the Oracle Wrote:Villians:

Don't forget that Sauron was Melkor (in the Silmarillion) until Tulkas imprisoned him and forced him into eternal bondage... And, there are MANY songs about Sauron including ones by Rush and Led Zeppelin.
Actually, Melkor (same as Morgoth) was a Valar, and Sauron was a Maiar. Sauron was originally a servant (or lieutenant) of Melkor until Melkor was banished.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
the Oracle   11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Actually, Melkor (same as Morgoth) was a Valar, and Sauron was a Maiar. Sauron was originally a servant (or lieutenant) of Melkor until Melkor was banished.

I stand corrected... It has been quite a while... 1979 I believe.

( ;

Thanks for the update... It was long and laborious to get through, but I need to re-read it. I loved Tulkas!

-Rip

—Amelia Earhart
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6