Scott Miller   11-09-2004, 03:23 PM
For anyone who enjoyed Before Sunrise, I highly recommend its sequel Before Sunset. It is full of the intelligent banter I've come to expect from Richard Linklater.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   11-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:For anyone who enjoyed Before Sunrise, I highly recommend its sequel Before Sunset. It is full of the intelligent banter I've come to expect from Richard Linklater.

I saw "Before Sunrise" long ago and watched "Before Sunset" this evening. What a lovely film! Just two people with a history talking for maybe an hour an a half, but how fantastic with genuine dialogue and superbly acted!

I'd love to be Julie Delpy when I grow up. Rolleyes

A really nice adult film, for people with hearts and minds and hope.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   11-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Maggers Wrote:I saw "Before Sunrise" long ago and watched "Before Sunset" this evening. What a lovely film! Just two people with a history talking for maybe an hour an a half, but how fantastic with genuine dialogue and superbly acted!

I'd love to be Julie Delpy when I grow up. Rolleyes

A really nice adult film, for people with hearts and minds and hope.

A couple of other small films you may enjoy are Tape, Waking Life, Perfect Strangers, Oleanna and American Splendor.

Tape stars Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard, and Uma Thurman. All of the action takes place in one hotel room. Based on his performance in this film, I recommended Hawke as RJ but was soundly booed for doing so. I still stand by my selection. The movie was directed by Linklater, as was Waking Life. WL is a very unique, animated picture full of ponderable material.

PS is perhaps the strangest love story I've seen and it is also an interesting journey of self-discovery for the female protagonist (whose name is eluding me at the moment). Sam Neill plays the male lead.

Oleanna is a harrowing look at a professor, brilliantly portrayed by William H. Macy, and one of his female students. The dialogue, written by David Mamet, is electric.

AS stars Paul Giammati, yet another RJ recommendation from me, as the real-life comic book writer Harvey Pikar. I thought it was the best performance of last year and the story is oddly inspirational.

Speaking of Giammati, has anyone seen Sideways? Not the type of movie I generally rush to see on the bigscreen, but I am a fan of Alexander Payne.

Scott

Maggers   11-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:A couple of other small films you may enjoy are Tape, Waking Life, Perfect Strangers, Oleanna and American Splendor.

Tape stars Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard, and Uma Thurman. All of the action takes place in one hotel room. Based on his performance in this film, I recommended Hawke as RJ but was soundly booed for doing so. I still stand by my selection. The movie was directed by Linklater, as was Waking Life. WL is a very unique, animated picture full of ponderable material.

PS is perhaps the strangest love story I've seen and it is also an interesting journey of self-discovery for the female protagonist (whose name is eluding me at the moment). Sam Neill plays the male lead.

Oleanna is a harrowing look at a professor, brilliantly portrayed by William H. Macy, and one of his female students. The dialogue, written by David Mamet, is electric.

AS stars Paul Giammati, yet another RJ recommendation from me, as the real-life comic book writer Harvey Pikar. I thought it was the best performance of last year and the story is oddly inspirational.

Speaking of Giammati, has anyone seen Sideways? Not the type of movie I generally rush to see on the bigscreen, but I am a fan of Alexander Payne.

Thanks for the suggestions, Scott. They are all films I've wanted to see. and I want to check out "Sideways," too.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:...speaking of Giammati, has anyone seen Sideways? Not the type of movie I generally rush to see on the bigscreen, but I am a fan of Alexander Payne.

I just saw "Sideways," and I enjoyed it very much. Paul Giammati is terrific. I know at least 3 guys who are just like him.

"Sideways" also has the single funniest scene I've seen in a very long time. That particular scene is so hysterical I couldn't stop laughing. Since arriving home, I keep having flash backs and laughing all the more.

I'd like to see "Sideways" get the Oscar for best adapted screenplay. I don't think it's going to get anything else - not best supporting actor, not best director, not best movie. It's a funny and moving script that Giammati brought to life beautifully.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Maggers Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, Scott. They are all films I've wanted to see. and I want to check out "Sideways," too.

I'll add Dummy to my recommendations. Another bizarre love story starring Adrien Brody as a guy who is debilitatingly shy unless communicating through his puppet.

Scott

jimbow8   03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Maggers Wrote:I just saw "Sideways," and I enjoyed it very much. Paul Giammati is terrific. I know at least 3 guys who are just like him.

"Sideways" also has the single funniest scene I've seen in a very long time. That particular scene is so hysterical I couldn't stop laughing. Since arriving home, I keep having flash backs and laughing all the more.

I'd like to see "Sideways" get the Oscar for best adapted screenplay. I don't think it's going to get anything else - not best supporting actor, not best director, not best movie. It's a funny and moving script that Giammati brought to life beautifully.
I saw Sideways and thought it was very good. But I don't think it was deserving of Best Picture, so I'm glad it didn't win. I do think the performances were excellent. If you are a wine-lover, you might get a lot more out of this movie than I did, though.

What was the funny scene you are referring to? PM me if you don't want to spoil it.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft