Scott Miller   08-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Mike Hanson Wrote:The Seven Samurai

A true classic...and the basis for the much lauded "The Magnificent Seven"

Which in turn spawned the excreble "Battle Beyond The Stars"

And then metamorphosised into the delightful A Bug's Life."

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-29-2004, 07:29 PM
fpw Wrote:In The Thing from Another World when the men spread out along the edges of something under the ice and we see that it's big...and round.

How about when Terry Malloy puts the cruel hurt on Johnny Friendly in ON THE WATERFRONT?
Maggers   01-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I stumbled on Douglas Sirk's "Imitation of Life" this morning. I LOVE this film. It's so rich, so lush, on so many levels. The script is terrific. And it's rendering of racism in America at that time is ... well, timeless. It's also a tribute to a mother's love, with all its complications.

At first glance, the film my seem heavy-handed and overblown. But it's not.

I am as moved by the film today as I was when I first saw it maybe 20 years ago. I'm not a fan of Lana Turner, but she does a good job here. And Juanita Moore is untouchable, just magnificent. Her character is the warm and glowing heart of this movie.

I love Sirks' use of color and the outfits! Man oh man, what I wouldn't give to have some of those Lana Turner dresses! Fabulous!

My favorite is the final scene, the funeral of Juanita Moore's Annie Johnson, an event she planned so carefully. The funeral procession is elegant, graceful and triumphant, with a beautiful, flower-draped hearse drawn by four magnificent white horses and followed by a big brass band. Suddenly, Sara Jane, her daughter who has been passing for white for years, runs across the street crying "Mama! Mama!" Sara Jane throws herself on the hearse, desperate to get one last hug from the mother whom she banished and denied for all those years. Oh my god, it breaks my heart and I cry every time, every time.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2):    1 2