Pages (3):    1 2 3
Kenji   08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
t4terrific Wrote:Actually I really did dig The Fog big time. For me it's one of Carpenter's most underrated films. It's not my favorite Carpenter, but it's a good one.

Yeah, it's a good one. It's one of my favorite Carpenter's movies...because of JAMIE LEE CURTIS! Big Grin

Quote:As far as Remaking The Fog, it'll make some people some money, but I really don't think Carpenter has that "thing" he used to have. He was once great at making great low-budget horror. He was great at developing characters and allowing them to carry the film adding his trademark stuff to up the thrill factor. He seems to have slipped a little into being a low-budget f/x movie guy. Low budget, crappy f/x, crappy actors, crappy story and no matter how much I love Carpenter's work, crappy film. The last Carpenter film that I really dug enought o watch more than once was Escape From L. A.. It had some crap factor, but the Snake Plissken character is just so cool that I could overlook a lot of B. S. and really enjoy the film. I'd like to see JC go to a more basic type of film. He needs a basic storyline, a basic set, and a character driven film. His best films are ALL character driven.
Halloween, Escape 1&2, They Live, The Thing, BTILC, and Assault were all great because of the great characters (whether the acting was good or bad).I'd like to see JC break out one more.

Crappy? Hmm......well, yeah, that's Carpenter's fascination.

And, don't forget Starman, Prince of Darkness, In the mouth of madness, Ghost of Mars, and.....Dark Star!
I love them!Big Grin
The Mad American   08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:The HELL you say?!?!?!?!?

SHIT!!!

Except apparently its some guy named Rupert Wainwright

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432291/

Gah. I actually saw an interview with Carpenter and he was talking about this remake so I made the assumption he was involved. Actually as soon as the word remake came up I went to my happy place and didn't pay a whole lot of attention so maybe I missed the part where he says its someone else directing.

Anyway, my feelings are the same as before...remake, what the hell? Almost as bad as the shot for shot remake of Psycho. Like that was needed. What the original wasn't good enough?

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

jimbow8   08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Gah. I actually saw an interview with Carpenter and he was talking about this remake so I made the assumption he was involved. Actually as soon as the word remake came up I went to my happy place and didn't pay a whole lot of attention so maybe I missed the part where he says its someone else directing.

Anyway, my feelings are the same as before...remake, what the hell? Almost as bad as the shot for shot remake of Psycho. Like that was needed. What the original wasn't good enough?
It looks like JC is a producer. That's probably why he was interviewed. It does bode well that he is involved, but...... still.

Check out that link to the trailer I posted and tell me what you think.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
t4terrific   08-03-2005, 01:12 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:It looks like JC is a producer. That's probably why he was interviewed. It does bode well that he is involved, but...... still.

Check out that link to the trailer I posted and tell me what you think.

Giving Carpenter an Executive Producer credit is just a way to get his name on the movie poster. "John Carpenter presents, The Fog". Just like the sequels to Vampires. He has nothing to do with the production of the film other than concept, which he developed when he made the origional. He gets his fee, they get the rights, but more importantly, they get to use his name to put a few more asses every 18 inches and sell a few more dvd's.
t4terrific   08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Kenji Wrote:And, don't forget Starman, Prince of Darkness, In the mouth of madness, Ghost of Mars, and.....Dark Star!
I love them!Big Grin

I didn't forget them. They are all part of my John Carpenter dvd collection. I just think don't think they are any good. Vampires was tollerable only because James Woods was allowed to play the part of...James Woods the Vampire Slayer. If any other actor on earth would have played that character it would have sucked. What we got was 100% James Woods. He wasn't written that way. He was allowed to be that way and it saved an otherwise crappy film.
I wouldn't exactly say Ghost of Mars sucked actually. I would say it was okay, but a real disapointment.
Sam   08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
t4terrific Wrote:I didn't forget them. They are all part of my John Carpenter dvd collection. I just think don't think they are any good. Vampires was tollerable only because James Woods was allowed to play the part of...James Woods the Vampire Slayer. If any other actor on earth would have played that character it would have sucked. What we got was 100% James Woods. He wasn't written that way. He was allowed to be that way and it saved an otherwise crappy film.
I wouldn't exactly say Ghost of Mars sucked actually. I would say it was okay, but a real disapointment.

Off topic here but if you like Woods check out Diggstown. It didn't get much acclaim, if any, but I thought it was a good movie. The meeting between Woods and Dern to set the rules for the matches...You'll never open a bottle the same way again. Big Grin

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
KRW   08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Sam Wrote:Off topic here but if you like Woods check out Diggstown. It didn't get much acclaim, if any, but I thought it was a good movie. The meeting between Woods and Dern to set the rules for the matches...You'll never open a bottle the same way again. Big Grin

Great movie! It would never happen in reality in a million years, but what a rollercoster ride! I'll agree with you about the bottle opening, I've impressed a few people with that trick!

KRW
KRW   08-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yeah, it's a good one. It's one of my favorite Carpenter's movies...because of JAMIE LEE CURTIS! Big Grin

Crappy? Hmm......well, yeah, that's Carpenter's fascination.

And, don't forget Starman, Prince of Darkness, In the mouth of madness, Ghost of Mars, and.....Dark Star!
I love them!Big Grin

I'll agree with Starman! That is the only one in your lineup that I recognize, but it is a great movie!

As far as Jamie Lee Curtis goes, she's a great actor but she's to tall for me! Big Grin

KRW
Kenji   08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
t4terrific Wrote:I didn't forget them. They are all part of my John Carpenter dvd collection. I just think don't think they are any good. Vampires was tollerable only because James Woods was allowed to play the part of...James Woods the Vampire Slayer. If any other actor on earth would have played that character it would have sucked. What we got was 100% James Woods. He wasn't written that way. He was allowed to be that way and it saved an otherwise crappy film.

Yeah, Vampires! That's my favorite one too! James Woods was great. He was chosen one....or if he couldn't, maybe Curt Russell? Cool
Kenji   08-04-2005, 09:45 AM
KRW Wrote:I'll agree with Starman! That is the only one in your lineup that I recognize, but it is a great movie!

I couldn't believe it was John Carpenter's movie. His other movies are blood and violence. But this "Staman" was very beautiful. Some of scenes were better than Spielberg's E.T.

Quote:As far as Jamie Lee Curtis goes, she's a great actor but she's to tall for me! Big Grin

KRW

I like tall woman. :p
Pages (3):    1 2 3